2000 Chevrolet Silverado proper parking brake tension.

WILLIAMROBERTS1991
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I know how to adjust the parking brake. My question is how do I know when it has proper tension? I've heard that when you spin your wheel and tire while elevated on a jack or stands that it should spin one revolution. Reason I'm asking is gas mileage. Thanks for reading. I don't have a problem donating, I have a problem giving out my card info. Sorry dudes.
Friday, May 8th, 2015 AT 9:48 PM

Depends on whether you have rear disc or drum brakes. With disc brakes with the parking brake built into the calipers, those do not self-adjust like front ones do. They adjust by working the parking brake multiple times until the pistons come out and the pads contact the rotors. If the cables are rusted tight, you have to work each caliper's parking brake lever by hand, usually with a large pliers. Once adjusted that way, the calipers will continue to self-adjust from there.

If you have drum brakes or the parking brake is a drum brake inside a rotor, the adjustment is very forgiving. The goal is to reach good pedal pressure with the pedal about halfway to the floor. The initial shoe adjustment is done by observing how much you can shift the rotor left and right as you slide it over the shoes. There's no need to have a little drag on it like you start out with on regular drum brakes because there's more than enough pedal travel to achieve good pressure. Even 1/8" of clearance is not exactly excessive. If the pedal goes further than halfway down after the shoes are adjusted, readjust the main cable to make it tighter.
Friday, May 8th, 2015 AT 10:09 PM
WILLIAMROBERTS1991
Hey thank for the reply, I have disc brakes front and rear, the parking brake pads are behind the rear rotors as you
Know, there is a circular knob I guess you could call it the when you tighten will expand the parking break rotor/pads. I just want to know when enough is enough and not too much.
Friday, May 8th, 2015 AT 10:18 PM
When the pedal travels less than halfway to the floor. That will provide some allowance for the cables to stretch. Lining wear isn't a concern as it is with regular drum brakes because parking brake shoes don't wear from use. They typically last the life of the truck unless they rust off the shoe frames.
Friday, May 8th, 2015 AT 10:29 PM