2000 Chevrolet Malibu over heating

FERTORRES13
  • 2000 CHEVROLET MALIBU
My reservoir starts to leak coolant when engine gets hot and usually does it after I turn it off. Sometimes it sounds like the coolant is boiling on the reservoir and in the back of the engine close to the transmission my passenger side coolant fan is not turning on. I replace the fans motor and replaced the fuses and relays still doesn't turn on and I put in a new thermostat after flushing out all of the old coolant and flushed out the radiator still leaking coolant through reservoir radiator has no radiator cap so I opened the line on top of the water pump to let out any air it might of had in the system.
Monday, June 29th, 2015 AT 10:36 AM

Any cooling system trouble codes? To check codes yourself, at the least, you need an obd2 code reader. Some of the national brand autostores will check codes for free.

How hot does the engine get in degrees F? The low speed fan comes on about 223 degrees F, the high speed comes on about 230 degrees F. Also, when you turn on ac, the fans may take off. Did you check voltage and ground at the fan/s wiring connector for the fan that doesn't work?

If your reservoir is faulty, replace it.

Check for combustion gases in the coolant?
-1
Monday, June 29th, 2015 AT 2:03 PM