I AUTO

2000 BMW 323

deniswindle

January, 28, 2011 AT 11:56 AM

I have a BMW 323i automatic reg.W year 2000. Alongside the automatic selector there is a small panel with an orange light which shows which gear is selected(P, R, N, D). When the car is at rest(no key in ignition, alarm not on, doors closed) the orange light opposite park(P) remains on, should it? If not what should I do?

Dr. Hagerty

Is it going out at all? You might have a problem if it isn't. The general module might be at risk. It is a typical failure item.

deniswindle

It does go out when the car is locked and alarm is set.

Dr. Hagerty

Then it is normal operation.

deniswindle

Thank you for your advice. My reason for asking was that something is draining my battery when the car is left standing but this is obviously not the cause. I also have a bleeping red light on the radio/tape/clock console directly below AM when car is locked whether in alarm mode or not but assume that is normal also and as a bleeping light is unlikely to significantly effect battery power. Thanks again.

Dr. Hagerty

The final stage unit is at risk for your battery drain issue, I have an appointment right now, but I will send the information as a personal message straightaway after the meeting.

Fix a Door That Will Not Close With Ease
Window Switch Replacement and Test
Door Lock Replacement Toyota 4Runner
Door Panel Removal & Speaker Replacement