Car cranks but will not start

COMET24
  • 2000 ACURA INTEGRA

My car will not start. It cranks but acts as if it is not getting spark or fuel. This has happened once before last year and a few things are common between both times. Cold weather just around freezing, fuel level is around 1/8-1/4 tank, but it certainly has fuel.

Last year I took the distributor cap off and tested the components inside with an volt/ohm meter using procedures I found online. Everything checked out. Put it back together and nothing. Took a break to warm up and then went out and tested to make sure it had spark by removing one of the wires. It had spark so I put the wire back on the plug and it started right up. Never found out what the problem was.

Not sure if the cold weather or gas is part of the problem but very coincidental both times. Not sure where to look now.

Thanks for any help

David

Thursday, December 9th, 2010 AT 1:41 PM

DOCFIXIT

Need to determine spark or fuel loss. First check engine light coming on? Try this pull plug wire hold 1/4 in from block crank spark? If yes spray carburetor cleaner into air intake crank run for second?
Let me know,
Thanks for donatation

+1
Thursday, December 9th, 2010 AT 2:10 PM
COMET24

Cranked and saw a little spark. Battery going dead. Charging up a power pack and will try again in the morning. Thanks

Friday, December 10th, 2010 AT 1:05 AM
COMET24

It is running now, but I would like to know what the problem was. I added some dry gas equivalent to the tank and about five more gallons of gas. Had to jump it to get the engine to turn over. Took one of the wires off the plug, took the end of a screw driver and stuck it in the wire end and laid it on the engine. No one to help me today. Turn the engine over and tried to see if I could see any spark from inside the call. After a few times and maybe twenty seconds total of turning the engine over it started. With it running I put the wire back on the plug and drove it around to get a charge back in the battery. Any ideas what is going on here? Only did this once last year under the same conditions and started back up after doing basically the same thing.

Could a little water in the tank cause this issue when the tank is low with freezing temps outside?

Friday, December 10th, 2010 AT 9:19 PM
DOCFIXIT

Possible tank below 1/4 can cause fuel pickup problem and water will make condition worse. Check fuel pressure 47-54 psi. Assume no engine light came on?

Saturday, December 11th, 2010 AT 8:27 PM
CRUPIEJ
  • 2000 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder front wheel drive automatic 75,689 miles

My car will run for a few days, then it will not start. Tried jumping the car and it does not always work. Tow car to repair shop and it starts with no repair. This has happened several times. Had starter, fuel pump, and injectors checked all good. Frustrated. Now what?

+1
Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 AT 2:38 PM (Merged)
KHLOW2008

Hi crupiej,

Check what is missing causing the non starting.

http://www.2carpros.com/kpages/first_things.htm

Let me know what you find.

JOECHEESE2
  • 2000 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder front wheel drive manual 130,000 miles

This happens about once every twelve to eighteen. I go out to start the my car in the morning (after it sits for a twenty four hour period or so) and it cranks but does not fire. I go to work, come home after the day heats up and it starts right up. It will not happen again for another year or so. Fuel level is at least half a tank.

Is there a "cold start procedure" I need to do if it is not getting fuel? It is fuel injected. So would and movement of the accelerator during starting do anything? I tried that but it does not help. I seem to recall that the Acura dealer told me about this "cold start procedure", but I cannot recall what it is.

Thanks,

Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 AT 2:39 PM (Merged)
KHLOW2008

Hi Joe,

There are no actual cold start procedures but after prolonged inactivity. Try turning the ignition "on" for two seconds and off then "on" again before starting.

This is to prime the fuel system to eliminate any fuel pressure drop or vapor lock in system.

The accelerator would help if there is any problem with the TPS or cold start mechanism, otherwise it does not help much.

TRES2000QX4
  • 2000 ACURA INTEGRA

When I am driving my car it just shuts down with no warning. I drove the car until it will no longer start my car any more! My battery died and got a new one and still will not start. I think it is my main relay switch but not 100% sure. So I took the main switch out and re-soldering the main board. I was reading about main relay problems on the internet.
Do you think I should buy a new one to see if that is the problem?
I am going crazy!
Thinking, fuel Pump? Alternator?

TRES2000QX4

Also, I changed my ignition switch too.

RIVERMIKERAT

Re-soldering the main board? Was it cracked? Were there defective solder joints? Check the fuel pump, fuel injection and ignition relays and fuses. Both in the engine compartment and passenger compartment.

TRES2000QX4

The main board was good but I resoldered the board anyway. Just to be safe.
I checked all the fuses driver side and engine. I did not know there were more fuses on the passenger side. Stupid me! LOL
My question is why do I not have lights turning on on my dash board? Turning to the key to #2 and power to my dash! Also, how do you check a fuel pump to see it is going bad?
Please help!
Thank you

RIVERMIKERAT

Use a fuel pressure gauge to check the pump output. Use a multi-meter to see if there is power to the main 'battery' lug on the interior fuse panel. Is position #2 Run or Start? If nothing is happening when the key is in the Run position, most likely the ignition switch is bad.

KHLOW2008

When no dash indicators lights are present, it is not due to a faulty main relay. You have a power interruption and it could be the ignition switch or power to it.

Have you checked Ignition Fuse # 42 ( 40 A) in underhood fuse box?
Are you able to crank the engine?

MTHUTCH
  • 2000 ACURA INTEGRA

Six cylinder two wheel drive Automatic 148,000 miles

someone broke into my car and broke the wiring from this little box that goes around the ignition. how do i fix it? my car will not start now, but still clicks over.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/540522_Photo0201_5.jpg

KHLOW2008

Hi mthutch,

That is the Immibilozer Receiver Unit. Any fault with this unit woulnd not allow the engine to be started.

If the wires can be reconnected, there is a possibility you can reuse it, failing which you would need to replace the unit and that would mean reprogramming the PCM to accept the new receiver and key.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_ImmobilizerReceiver00IntegraFig03_1.jpg

Terminal 1 = Yellow/Black
Terminal 2 = Red wire
Terminal 3 = Blue
Terminal 4 = Brown/Black

MELANIE LEWIS
  • 2000 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder two wheel drive automatic 100,000 miles

I was driving down the freeway when suddenly my car started to shake and lost almost all power. After a couple of minutes, it ran okay again

MHPAUTOS

Hi there,

Get the fuel filter replaced and have a scan done to check for any set fault codes. Start here.

WOOD IT
  • 2000 ACURA INTEGRA

Will not crank. Fuel pump is working and will fire up with starter fluid. Must not be getting signal to injectors to open. The first thing that happened before it would not start, was that it shut off twice when I cranked it. So I drove home keeping my foot on the gas so it would not shut off. When I got home it idled fine. The fuel filter Is okay too.

WOOD IT

If the pump is weak, could this effect the cranking?

+1