CAM SHAFT CHAIN ROLLER NUMBER

1999 Volkswagen Passat

Hambone31

July, 16, 2012 AT 6:09 PM

Bought car at a good price because OBD codes kept comming up and runnabillity problems. Took off valve covers to check settings out and found the number of chain rollers between notches on gears of the DOHC 2.8L motor, Bank1 and Bank2, were not correct according to repair manual. Set at 16 rollers and closed up. When I started car 3 codes came up, both cam shaft sensors poen curcuit to Bat. And Engine position sensor. I knew Engine position was ok because ignition system was working even though it was running rough. Disconnected neg. Bat. Cable and quit for the night. Next mourning started car and only 1 code lit up, Cam sensor Bank2 open curcuit. Cleared code 2 more times then replaced sensor. After replacing sensor car will not run now, rough or at all, will not start now. HELP

mhpautos

July, 17, 2012 AT 8:01 AM

Sounds as if the valve timing is out, have you checked this using your manual as yet?

Hambone31

July, 17, 2012 AT 12:12 PM

Yes, timed with Bar & TDC pin. Dbl checked twice on timing and chain rollers are at 16 between cam shaft gears

Hambone31

July, 17, 2012 AT 6:54 PM

I'm thinking electrical but don't know where to start. Can anyone help me on this, there is a cookie in it for you if you can.

rivermikerat

July, 20, 2012 AT 3:58 PM

Knowing what codes its throwing might prove very helpful to us. Check continuity between the cam sensor, power, ground, and the ECM. Also make sure it's properly seated.

exovcds

July, 20, 2012 AT 10:03 PM

I would first check to see if crank & both cam sensor are in sync
via a scope... or at least producing a signal.

A running compression test (or just cranking) with an ignition signal
sync of one cylinder, can tell you if your cam/crank timing is out.

http://www.autonerdz.com/wps500.html

Not much that can be done over the internet...

Good luck,

Thomas

Hambone31

July, 21, 2012 AT 1:28 PM

Thanks all, did a trigger signal test for the coil and had one, manual stated if signal was present, engine speed sensor, camshaft position sensor and ECM were operating as they should. It stated that after any major overhaul the camshaft sensors need to be syncronized, anyone know what or how this is achieved?
I thought with cam timing bar and TDC pin used, syncronizing was completed, am I wrong to assume this?
Also when it quit starting, the starter turns motor over but it seems to be dragging even with new battery and jumped by another vehicle. This began right after I was trying to start the engine earlier, the oil idiot light began to blink on instrument panel. Any comments on this should be helpful.

exovcds

July, 21, 2012 AT 4:17 PM

Can sensors are hard mounted. No adjustment. Yes, the lock bar should have taken care of the sync.

Did you have the cam sprockets loose when adjusting the belt? Did you tighten them after? The sprockets could have spun and the cams are now out of sync again?

The oil light will blink after extended crank. This is normal

Thomas

rivermikerat

July, 21, 2012 AT 4:59 PM

It definitely sounds like the valve timing is still out. The dragging condition you describe happens when that's the case.

exovcds

July, 21, 2012 AT 5:06 PM

Are the cam sensor shutter wheels installed correctly?

Thomas

Hambone31

July, 22, 2012 AT 10:49 PM

Thanks again all, Have checked valve timing with bar and TDC pin again, everything was in sync. Will check reluctor ring on cam sensors, good to know about oil light also. Would like to check relays but don't know which one controls what, need help with this if anyone can. They are numbered and that's all I know.