1989 CV AXLE

1999 Toyota Camry

tha_juggala

June, 4, 2011 AT 5:53 AM

My driver side cv axle keeps popping out of the trans. When driving I can hear a noise it sounds like a clicking sound but at the same time a grinding sound. The only thing I can figure is the passenger side cv is pushing the driver side out somehow no shop can tell me what is going on with it one place said it sounds like I got the wrong one but its identical to the old on exactly pls help me what is this sound and why dose this keep happening? Btw I replaced both cv axles they had both broke on me first driver side then passenger.

June, 4, 2011 AT 7:18 AM

The axle shaft do not meet each other so it is not possible for the passenger side to be pushing out the other.

Check the locking clip of the shaft. If it is weak, it would result in the shaft popping out.

tha_juggala

June, 4, 2011 AT 9:40 AM

I checked that it is locking in fine but is not staying in even had a shop put it in still did it.

tha_juggala

June, 4, 2011 AT 9:43 AM

Somehow something is pushing or pulling it out it lockes in once I start driving it pops out.

tha_juggala

June, 4, 2011 AT 9:44 AM

And its 89 not 99 messed up

June, 4, 2011 AT 10:49 AM

For this model, the shaft is rather tight and quite often we have difficulty removing the shaft.

Something is not correct and it could be the length of the joint that plugs in.

If your old shaft is still available, compare their length.
Did you compare the length of the complete shaft before installing?

Remoe the central locking nut and push the sgaft as far as it can go in. The tip of the shaft should be almost completely level with the hub flange. If it is going in further than that, the length of the shaft could be too short.

mhpautos

June, 4, 2011 AT 1:22 PM

I would be fitting a new "C" retaining clip on the shaft.

tha_juggala

June, 4, 2011 AT 4:33 PM

Khlow2008 I matched the two up when I got the new one but I no longer have the old one
mhpautos the shaft is new the clip is in normal condition I dont think that is the problem
can anyone tell me what the noise is it sounds like its coming from the passenger side of the tranny or where the cv connects to the tranny

June, 4, 2011 AT 6:14 PM

Some C-clips are not strong if it is not OEM so I agree with mhpautos about replacing it.

What type of noise are you getting?
When does the noise occur?

tha_juggala

June, 4, 2011 AT 8:51 PM

Its a clicking sound when the car is moving rather if its on or not it dose it while in motion

June, 4, 2011 AT 9:09 PM

Does it occur on straight lines or only when making turns?

CV Drive Axle Replacement Nissan Altima
CV Axle Replacement
CV Axle Replacement
Wheel Stud Replacement Chevrolet Cavalier
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage