TRANSMISSION SHIFTS HARD

1999 Saturn SL2

badwrench

March, 17, 2011 AT 7:06 PM

1999 Saturn SL DOHC, Auto. Differential pin came loose and wore a hole in transmission case. Bought used tranny and installed. Shifted rough in all gears, the worse was the last shift. It is also worse at lower speeds. Old tranny shifted good so I took the servo box from it and tried it--no change, still rough shift, rough like it slams into gear. I did not use new gasket on servo as old one looked good. I do not have any codes.
Thanks for any help

saturntech9

March, 17, 2011 AT 7:20 PM

Are you talking about the valve body cover gasket on that car?If so that is a compression gasket and is only good for one time not reuse able. Also when you say you you swapped the servo box did you mean the valve body?If so you swapped it from the old transmission that broke the roll pin in the differential?Also have you checked all the fuse's in the under hood fuse box to make sure none are blown?Do you have any code's?

badwrench

March, 17, 2011 AT 9:17 PM

The valve body gasket is not leaking, I did mean valve body, that I took from the transmission that shifted fine, fuses ok, and no codes.
I was thinking maybe the gasket on the actual valve body may have a leak.

Thanks again

saturntech9

March, 17, 2011 AT 10:41 PM

I was just trying to tell you those valve body cover gasket's are one time use only. The actual spacer plate gasket that's sits up between the transmission case and the valve body's usually doesn't tear or leak when removing and putting them back on there pretty durable. So what year and model car did the used transmission come from?Hard shift's are usually caused by too high of pressure. Do you have any code's?

Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions
Wheel Bearing Hub Replacement
CV Drive Axle Replacement Nissan Altima