Starter wire hook up

FUNNYF
  • 1999 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX

I removed starter then forgot what wire went where

Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011 AT 2:20 AM

ASEMASTER6371

Big wire with big eyelet goes on the stud on the solenoid with the big nut. The little wire goes on the little terminal on the solenoid closest to the block.

The little wire is the purple one that triggers the starting circuit

-1
Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011 AT 2:28 AM
FUNNYF

There are 2 large studs and more big eyelet wires with the large fat wire that goes to batt.

+2
Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011 AT 1:16 PM
WRENCHTECH

There is only one big stud for incoming and is on top. The other one is attached internally connecting the solenoid to the motor. The purple one goes on the "S" terminal. All others go to the main terminal

+2
Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011 AT 1:44 PM
FUNNYF

How do I test starter solenoid on a pontiac grand prix gt. What studs do I cross over

+2
Monday, November 7th, 2011 AT 4:18 AM

The big stud where the battery positive cable is connected to and the small terminal is where the purple wire should be connected-cross this two terminals with a screwdriver the starter should engage the engine if not -replace the starter

+1
Monday, November 7th, 2011 AT 6:01 AM
DINH

Hi, I need some serious help with my 97 gran prix gtp. It involves hooking the wires back up to the starter, but first a little background.

Two nites ago I finally got my damn starter off and out.I went had it tested, it was bad. Bought a new one, took it back to my car, got underneath, and realized there were more than two wires that needed to be hooked back up to the starter. It was so dark the night before I didnt see how many were connected to the big bolt.

After searching for a couple hours online, I never found out what these wires were or which ones go where. Finally I gave in.I hooked up the big fat wire, and the small one (the only two I remember being hooked up).I left the other two hanging. The car starter right up, I drove it about 20 minutes until I slowly starter losing power from the battery, and luckily I got it off the road before it died completely.

What did I do wrong? And what are those two wires? They appeared to be the same gage, both bigger than the smaller wire I hooked up, and smaller thsn the big fat one! PLEASE HELP, I AM A SERIOUS NOOB AT CARS, and I have no other way to work and back. Please and thank you, Bret

+1
Monday, December 5th, 2011 AT 5:34 AM
DINH
  • 1997 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
  • MERGED

Hi, I need some serious help with my 97 grand prix gtp. It involves hooking the wires back up to the starter, but first a little background.

After searching for a couple hours online, I never found out what these wires were or which ones go where. Finally I gave in.I hooked up the big fat wire, and the small one (the only two I remember being hooked up).I left the other two hanging (these wires also had the metal piece at the end, just like the bigger and smaller one). The car starter right up, I drove it about 20 minutes until I slowly starter losing power from the battery, and luckily I got it off the road before it died completely. If it helps, when I was driving away my TCS was off, maybe one of those two wires went to that, I dont know, I am just trying to be as specific as possible because I feel that you all are my last hope.

What did I do wrong? And what are those two wires? They appeared to be the same gage, both bigger than the smaller wire I hooked up, and smaller thsn the big fat one! PLEASE HELP, I AM A SERIOUS NOOB AT CARS, and I have no other way to get to work and back. Please and thank you, Bret

Monday, December 12th, 2016 AT 4:37 PM
WRENCHTECH
  • MERGED

The small purple wire goes on the small "S" terminal and all the others go on the large main terminal along with the battery cable.

-1
Monday, December 12th, 2016 AT 4:37 PM
DINH
  • MERGED

Dooes it matter in what order they go on the large terminal? And how important is the splash cover? I dont remember there being one. Thanks for your input

Monday, December 12th, 2016 AT 4:37 PM
WRENCHTECH
  • MERGED

It's not important what order they go on in and that shield is a heat shield to protect the starter from being burned by the exhaust manifold.

-1
Monday, December 12th, 2016 AT 4:37 PM