Starter wire hook up

FUNNYF
  • 1999 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX

I removed starter then forgot what wire went where. There are 2 large studs and more big eyelet wires with the large fat wire that goes to battery.

Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011 AT 2:20 AM

WRENCHTECH

There is only one big stud for incoming and is on top. The other one is attached internally connecting the solenoid to the motor. The purple one goes on the "S" terminal. All others go to the main terminal

+5
Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011 AT 1:44 PM
FUNNYF

How do I test starter solenoid on a pontiac grand prix gt. What studs do I cross over

+4
Monday, November 7th, 2011 AT 4:18 AM

The big stud where the battery positive cable is connected to and the small terminal is where the purple wire should be connected-cross this two terminals with a screwdriver the starter should engage the engine if not -replace the starter

+2
Monday, November 7th, 2011 AT 6:01 AM
DINH

Hi, I need some serious help with my 97 gran prix gtp. It involves hooking the wires back up to the starter, but first a little background.

Two nites ago I finally got my damn starter off and out.I went had it tested, it was bad. Bought a new one, took it back to my car, got underneath, and realized there were more than two wires that needed to be hooked back up to the starter. It was so dark the night before I didnt see how many were connected to the big bolt.

After searching for a couple hours online, I never found out what these wires were or which ones go where. Finally I gave in.I hooked up the big fat wire, and the small one (the only two I remember being hooked up).I left the other two hanging. The car starter right up, I drove it about 20 minutes until I slowly starter losing power from the battery, and luckily I got it off the road before it died completely.

What did I do wrong? And what are those two wires? They appeared to be the same gage, both bigger than the smaller wire I hooked up, and smaller thsn the big fat one! PLEASE HELP, I AM A SERIOUS NOOB AT CARS, and I have no other way to work and back. Please and thank you, Bret

+4
Monday, December 5th, 2011 AT 5:34 AM
DINH
  • 1997 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX

Hi, I need some serious help with my 97 grand prix gtp. It involves hooking the wires back up to the starter, but first a little background.

After searching for a couple hours online, I never found out what these wires were or which ones go where. Finally I gave in.I hooked up the big fat wire, and the small one (the only two I remember being hooked up).I left the other two hanging (these wires also had the metal piece at the end, just like the bigger and smaller one). The car starter right up, I drove it about 20 minutes until I slowly starter losing power from the battery, and luckily I got it off the road before it died completely. If it helps, when I was driving away my TCS was off, maybe one of those two wires went to that, I dont know, I am just trying to be as specific as possible because I feel that you all are my last hope.

What did I do wrong? And what are those two wires? They appeared to be the same gage, both bigger than the smaller wire I hooked up, and smaller thsn the big fat one! PLEASE HELP, I AM A SERIOUS NOOB AT CARS, and I have no other way to get to work and back. Please and thank you, Bret

-1
Monday, December 12th, 2016 AT 4:37 PM (Merged)
WRENCHTECH

The small purple wire goes on the small "S" terminal and all the others go on the large main terminal along with the battery cable.

DINH

Dooes it matter in what order they go on the large terminal? And how important is the splash cover? I dont remember there being one. Thanks for your input

-1
WRENCHTECH

It's not important what order they go on in and that shield is a heat shield to protect the starter from being burned by the exhaust manifold.

-1
BROKEDOWNCRAP
  • 1999 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 100+ miles

My friends and I made a stupid move and forgot to label the wires that were on the origional starter and forgot wich went where.
Could you send me a picture or describe which wires go where? There is a large red wire, a cluster of wires, and a small wire that obviously goes to the small post. The other two posts are large and could fit either, but i'm certain the large red one fits on the upper post when installed. There is a small wire coming out of the starter and i'm certain that that one is on the lower post. I just can't remeber if the cluster is on the lower or the upper.

+1
Monday, December 12th, 2016 AT 4:39 PM (Merged)
DOCFIXIT

Small purple wire goes to solenoid small connection all the others go to large top post place small fuselinks benind larger positive batt.

+1
CHRISTOPHER FOX

WRENCHTECH if I got your advice in person I would sue you. I took your advice and your "all others go to the big terminal". The two wires he is referring to are ground wires that go up to the transaxle bolt with the main ground. As I took your "expertise" and I was cautious to not fully install battery terminals and guess what the wiring harness going to the cam and crank sensors started smoldering. Im sure thats not the only place wire melted but thats where all the smoke was coming from. And as for the OP I hope you did not follow this very very wrong information. You sir need to put in an application to wal-mart greeter!

-2
Thursday, January 19th, 2017 AT 4:20 PM
CHRISTOPHER FOX

Im sorry it was not WRENCHTECH. It was DOCFIXIT post.

Thursday, January 19th, 2017 AT 4:22 PM
WRENCHTECH

There are no ground wires in the harness that goes to the starter so if you somehow mistook a ground wire in the vicinity, you should have someone else doing this job.

Thursday, January 19th, 2017 AT 4:24 PM
WRENCHTECH

Besides, this thread is 5 years old and you shouldn't be replying to it.

Thursday, January 19th, 2017 AT 4:26 PM
FUNNYF
  • 1999 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX

I took starter off to clean conections and forgot where ALL wires went

Wednesday, March 15th, 2017 AT 1:04 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371

I am sorry, I did not hear back from you about this. There should only be the big battery cable wire and the little ignition wire. There may be a third big wire but that goes to the same connection as the big fat wire.

Is there something you did not understand?

FUNNYF

There are 2 studs and 2 other large hole eyelits besides the large big one that goes to batt.

ASEMASTER6371

The one on the solenoid is the one or the upper of the 2 big studs. All the wires with big holes go on that stud. The little wire, purple, I believe, goes on the little stud on the solenoid closest to you.

FUNNYF

Thanks, I will ck that out

+1
ASEMASTER6371

Good luck