Starter wire hook up

FUNNYF
  • 1999 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX

I removed starter then forgot what wire went where. There are two large studs and more big eyelet wires with the large fat wire that goes to battery.

Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011 AT 2:20 AM

WRENCHTECH

There is only one big stud for incoming cable and it is on top. The other one is attached internal connecting the solenoid to the motor. The purple one goes on the "S" terminal. All others go to the main terminal

Here is a guide that will help you get the job done:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-starter-motor

You will need to jack the car up safely.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/jack-up-and-lift-your-car-safely

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers

+7
Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011 AT 1:44 PM
FUNNYF

How do I test starter solenoid on a Pontiac Grand Prix GT? What studs do I cross over?

+6
Monday, November 7th, 2011 AT 4:18 AM

The big stud where the battery positive cable is connected to and the small terminal is where the purple wire should be connected. Cross these two terminals with a screwdriver the starter should engage the engine if not replace the starter.

+2
Monday, November 7th, 2011 AT 6:01 AM
DINH

Hi, I need some serious help with my 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP it involves hooking the wires back up to the starter, but first a little background.

Two nights ago I finally got my starter off and out, I went had it tested, it was bad. Bought a new one, took it back to my car, got underneath, and realized there were more than two wires that needed to be hooked back up to the starter. It was so dark the night before I did not see how many were connected to the big bolt.

After searching for a couple hours online, I never found out what these wires were or which ones go where. Finally I gave in. I hooked up the big fat wire, and the small one (the only two I remember being hooked up). I left the other two hanging. The car starter right up, I drove it about twenty minutes until I slowly starter losing power from the battery, and luckily I got it off the road before it shut off completely.

What did I do wrong? And what are those two wires? They appeared to be the same gauge, both bigger than the smaller wire I hooked up, and smaller than the big fat one! Please help, I am a serious noob at cars, and I have no other way to work and back. Please and thank you, Bret

+6
Monday, December 5th, 2011 AT 5:34 AM
WRENCHTECH

The small purple wire goes on the small "S" terminal and all the others go on the large main terminal along with the battery cable.

+1
Monday, December 12th, 2016 AT 4:37 PM (Merged)
DINH

Does it matter in what order they go on the large terminal? And how important is the splash cover? I do not remember there being one. Thanks for your input.

-1
WRENCHTECH

It is not important what order they go on in and that shield is a heat shield to protect the starter from being burned by the exhaust manifold.

-1
BROKEDOWNCRAP
  • 1999 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix six cylinder front wheel drive automatic 100,000 miles.

My friends and I made a stupid move and forgot to label the wires that were on the original starter and forgot which went where.
Could you send me a picture or describe which wires go where? There is a large red wire, a cluster of wires, and a small wire that obviously goes to the small post. The other two posts are large and could fit either, but I am certain the large red one fits on the upper post when installed. There is a small wire coming out of the starter and I am certain that that one is on the lower post. I just cannot remember if the cluster is on the lower or the upper.

+1
Monday, December 12th, 2016 AT 4:39 PM (Merged)
DOCFIXIT

Small purple wire goes to solenoid small connection all the others go to large top post place small fuse links behind larger positive battery.

+1
WRENCHTECH

There are no ground wires in the harness that goes to the starter so if you somehow mistook a ground wire in the vicinity.

Thursday, January 19th, 2017 AT 4:24 PM
FUNNYF
  • 1999 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX

I took starter off to clean connections and forgot where all wires went.

+1
Wednesday, March 15th, 2017 AT 1:04 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371

I am sorry, I did not hear back from you about this. There should only be the big battery cable wire and the little ignition wire. There may be a third big wire but that goes to the same connection as the big fat wire.

Is there something you did not understand?

FUNNYF

There are two studs and two other large hole eyelets besides the large big one that goes to battery.

ASEMASTER6371

The one on the solenoid is the one or the upper of the two big studs. All the wires with big holes go on that stud. The little wire, purple, I believe, goes on the little stud on the solenoid closest to you.

FUNNYF

Thanks, I will check that out.

+1
ASEMASTER6371

Good luck.

BRITTON
  • 1999 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix six cylinder front wheel drive automatic.

I just placed a used starter solenoid in my car, and I do not know how to wire it correctly.

Small purple wire goes to the S terminal of the solenoid the rest goes to the starter battery terminal.