OVERHEATING

1999 Peugeot 306

Segon

July, 9, 2012 AT 10:07 AM

I recently had the head gasket done. Since then I have had problems with overheating. The radiator cracked as a result and had to be replaced. I changed the radiator fan switch and removed the thermostat. This is an ongoing problem and gets worse when the car is idling in peak traffic with temperature gauge reaching over 100. This morning I started with the radiator full of water. After 7km, I topped up 1.5 litre. After a further 5km, I topped up 2litres of water. Even with the overheating, I do not get any hot air inside the car. When the temperature reaches over 90 degrees, the water comes through the radiator cap. The car can travel a maximum of 20km when there is no peak traffic. If switched off when the temperature reached 100, it will not start again for at least a hour. I topped the radiator, left the cap open and started the engine. After a few seconds, the water drained into the engine

mhpautos

July, 9, 2012 AT 12:33 PM

When the head was off, did you get the head checked for warp and cracks, was it re surfaced?

Segon

July, 10, 2012 AT 5:30 AM

The head was skimmed by an engineer. Also petrol consumption is around 14 l/100km opposed to about 10l/100km

mhpautos

July, 10, 2012 AT 7:39 AM

I suggest that you get the system re checked for a head problem still, get a head check done using the Co tester kit, this will check for Co in the cooling system, it is quick and cheap and very reliable.

Segon

July, 10, 2012 AT 8:27 AM

Thank you for your prompt response. I always suspected this problem related to the head as my mechanic was unsure of the proper torque settings. I will have the CO test done and post my response. However, if you know, could you please let me have the correct torque settings. Peugeot 1999 1.8l 306 automatic

mhpautos

July, 10, 2012 AT 8:38 AM

Have not got that info at hand, I will find it and post a bit later.

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage