HVAC BLOWER BLOWS OUT ALL VENTS

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue

sm00the

1999 olds intrigue - All of a sudden hvac blower blows out all vents, can't change it. The heat is fine and AC stopped blowing cold air months ago but everything was still working fine. The rear defroster button will not stay on which is on the same unit with all hvac controls, so no rear defrost. Pressing rear defrost button will stop blower momentarily but then starts blowing again, Any Help?
PS - Auto headlights flicker & go on & off. This started happening all at the same time. Turning Headlights on manually, no problem. Any significance?

11nan11

February, 11, 2011 AT 12:04 AM

Did you ever find out what the problem was? I have the exact same problem. I'm freezing & would like some heat. It comes on when it feels like it.

sm00the

February, 11, 2011 AT 10:20 PM

Not yet. Still working on it. Now there is another symptom, the unit is inoperable. I will let you know when this is resolved. It should be soon.

11nan11

February, 11, 2011 AT 11:33 PM

I am taking mine in on Monday. Will let you know what is going on.
I also have a wet floorboard on the drivers side. So this has been difficult with no heat & ice on the inside of my windows.
I was so lucky today the heat came on this afternoon. Of course the temperature got up to 33 today.

11nan11

February, 16, 2011 AT 4:25 AM

Ok, $684.00 is what I spent today. It took them two days to figure out what was wrong. It was in the ignition switch. The switch is $203.74. So if you can put this in yourself you will save a bit of money. You won't have to pay for labor to check over the electrical.
If I can be of further help please let me know. I have heat & lights.

sm00the

February, 17, 2011 AT 7:23 PM

Thanks, You told me what I suspected. After looking into it and searching the web this seems to be a frequent problem with the ignition switch. All kinds of problems arise from this, especially with the HVAC unit. What led me to this also was that my key did not want to turn in the ignition all the time when I tried to start the car. I had to play with the key to get it to turn. Adding all things up is what led me to this. And as far as the price you paid for your repair, that seems to be in the ballpark as the rest of the people on the web that had this done. Thanks again for the info!

Cabin Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911