Freeze plug locations

BRIANV
  • 1999 OLDSMOBILE ALERO
Where are the freeze plugs located on a 3.4 liter V6 engine? Where exactly is it located for my car? I looked and I see none on the block. Also, what is required to install the freeze plugs and install them?
Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 12:40 AM

What is wrong here that you inquiring about the freeze plugs? Are you leaking coolant from the engine?
+17
Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 1:38 AM
BRIANV
I had a diagnostics test and pressure test ran on my car and I was told one of my freeze plugs is leaking. My car keeps overheating and the water keeps disappearing.
+8
Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 1:41 AM
But is it actually leaking from the freeze plug? If not could be burning in the cylinders due to a blown head gasket, cracked head or block and an intake leak.
+3
Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 2:44 AM
BRIANV
The head gasket has been replaced and I have had the heads checked and they are not cracked and the same with the block and they are not warped. I had the heads resurfaced also and the intake is fine I had that checked. Is there a diagram you could link me to so I can solve my problem?
+1
Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 2:48 AM
Yes, the freeze plugs are located on either side of the lower block portion two on each side.
-1
Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 8:41 PM
BRIANV
Thanks you. But sorry to bother you again. But I checked the freeze plugs myself and it turns out the mechanic that did the diagnostics and pressure test was wrong. The car runs perfectly fine when I first start it then the surge tank shoots the water out then the car stalls. What would cause this? The car does not even get on the hot mark now.
+1
Monday, August 8th, 2011 AT 1:54 AM
RIVERMIKERAT
Refill the radiator. Start the engine and let it warm up. Make sure there is coolant flowing. If not, remove and test the thermostat. Boil a pan of water on the stove and put the thermostat in the water. Use an accurate thermometer capable of reading at least to 215 degrees F (preferably a candy thermometer). The thermostat should open at 195 degrees F. If not, replace it and the gasket. If it does open, replace it and install a new gasket and then replace the water pump. You may also want to check the cooling system for the presence of combustion gases to make sure there is not a head gasket leak to the cooling system.
Tuesday, September 20th, 2011 AT 4:05 AM