Freeze plug locations

BRIANV
  • 1999 OLDSMOBILE ALERO

Where are the freeze plugs located on a 3.4 liter V6 engine?

Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 12:40 AM

Check on both side of the engine block.

-2
Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 1:09 AM
BRIANV

Where exactly is it located for my car? I looked and I see none on the block and what is required to install the freeze plugs and install them?

-2
Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 1:16 AM

What is wrong here that you inquiring about the freeze plugs? Are you leaking coolant from the engine?

+14
Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 1:38 AM
BRIANV

I had a diagnostics test and pressure test ran on my car and I was told one of my freeze plugs is leaking. My car keeps overheating and the water keeps disappearing.

+4
Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 1:41 AM

But is it actually leaking from the freeze plug? If not could be burning in the cylinders due to a blown head gasket, cracked head or block and an intake leak.

+1
Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 2:44 AM
BRIANV

The head gasket has been replaced and I have had the heads checked and they are not cracked and the same with the block and they are not warped. I had the heads resurfaced also and the intake is fine I had that checked. Is there a diagram you could link me to so I can solve my problem?

Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 2:48 AM

Sorry, I do not have the information you need on the freeze plugs.

-2
Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 8:41 PM
BRIANV

Sorry to bother you again but I checked the freeze plugs myself and it turns out the mechanic that did the diagnostics and pressure test was wrong. The car runs perfectly fine when I first start it then the surge tank shoots the water out then the car stalls what would cause this? The car does not even get on the hot mark now.

+1
Monday, August 8th, 2011 AT 1:54 AM
RIVERMIKERAT

Refill the radiator. Start the engine and let it warm up. Make sure there is coolant flowing. If not, remove and test the thermostat. Boil a pan of water on the stove and put the thermostat in the water. Use an accurate thermometer capable of reading at least to 215 degrees F (preferably a candy thermometer). The thermostat should open at 195 degrees F. If not, replace it and the gasket. If it does open, replace it and install a new gasket and then replace the water pump. You may also want to check the cooling system for the presence of combustion gases to make sure there is not a head gasket leak to the cooling system.

Tuesday, September 20th, 2011 AT 4:05 AM