Fuel Pump installation

TABAYS
  • 1999 MITSUBISHI MIRAGE
How to replace a fuel pump in a 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage?
Wednesday, December 1st, 2010 AT 9:59 PM

Here are the directions I was able to get for you.

Relieve the fuel system pressure.
Disconnect negative battery cable.
The fuel pump is located in the fuel tank. Remove the access cover located in the rear floor pan.
Partially drain the fuel tank into an approved gasoline container.
Remove the electrical connector from the fuel pump.
Remove the overfill limiter (two-way valve), as required.
Remove the high pressure fuel hose connector.
Remove the six pump retaining bolts and remove the fuel pump and gauge assembly from the tank by lifting up on it. Note: positioning of pump prior to removal from tank.

To replace it, align the three projections on the packing with the holes on the fuel pump and the nipples on the pump facing the same direction as before removal. Install the retainers and tighten to 2 ft. Lbs.
Install the high pressure hose connection and tighten to 29 ft. Lbs.
Install the overfill limiter (two-way valve) and the electrical connector to the fuel pump.
Fill the fuel tank with the gasoline removed during this procedure.
Reconnect the negative battery cable and check the entire system for leaks.
Install the access cover into place.

Let me know if this helps. I have also attached pictures of pump location and the access port.

+1
Wednesday, December 1st, 2010 AT 10:13 PM
KEN

Some cars have a trap door under the rear seat or int he trunk and others you must remove the tank. Here are some guides and diagrams to help you get the job done.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-an-electric-fuel-pump

You must raise the car safely if the tank must be pulled.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/jack-up-and-lift-your-car-safely

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken
+6
Friday, September 29th, 2017 AT 6:25 PM
TIFFANY SARGIS
  • 1996 MITSUBISHI MIRAGE
Hi, my boyfriend replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter in my car, but afterwords when we started it and attempted to go into first gear it chugs and falters. However, it will run fine if we can get it to move forward. It shifts into all other gears fine and drives normally until have to come to a stop. Then starting out again it chugs and falters and wants to shut off. And idea what could be causing a rough start? Thank you!
Friday, September 29th, 2017 AT 6:27 PM (Merged)
Scan for codes and check fuel pressure with a gauge it may be a bad regulator or wrong pump for that matter.
IVO295
  • 2001 MITSUBISHI MIRAGE
Well I went to change my battery one day and I accidentally put the wrong cables to the wrong end the positive to positive and negative to negative. After that I heard a little poof sound near the battery maybe it was the fuse but now the car wont start. I tried to jump it or change the battery but nothing. I think the fuel pump went out but where is it located what number/ if not what the problem the relay or the fuel pump?
Monday, February 11th, 2019 AT 6:33 PM (Merged)

Here is a guide to help check the relay and show you step by step how to change out the fuel pump with diagrams below to show you on your car.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

and

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

SALLYANDJEFF
  • 1997 MITSUBISHI MIRAGE
1997 Mitsubishi Mirage 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual

I think my fuel pump is bad where is it and do I have to drop the tank also is there something I should check like a relay or reset
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Test out your fuel pump relay first. It is located behind the center console, near the A/T control unit. Fuel pump is located inside of tank. Removal of fuel tank is required to replace pump.
INTRUDERVI
  • 2002 MITSUBISHI MIRAGE
Hi

I just want to know if I can receive a little help here is because I am having a problems whit the fuel pump in my car.

And I wonderring I have to take out the fuel tank in this model o to find the fuel pump.

That is the only question I have for now.

If someone can give me a help whit the answer?

Thanks for any help can somebody can give to me

att

Anthony
DOCFIXIT
Yes tank must be removed to access pump
INTRUDERVI
Well

thanks

i have the feeling that I must take the tank out because the only thing I saw in the back of the rear seat is the fuel guague unit. Like the service manual describes.

But the manual dont have the information to how to take out the tank but how many screws have the tank to take out.

If you have some onther information regarding this problem please let me know

att
Carlos Lopez
PR.
+1
WAORELLANA
  • 2001 MITSUBISHI MIRAGE
I have a Mitsubishi mirage 1.8 2001 car does cranks does not start. I sprayed starting fluid in the carburetor and it started then stalled out. I have checked the fused but none of the fused says anything about fuel pump. And I don't hear the fuel pump starting when I turn the key. Is there a way to make sure the fuel pump is getting power. Or is the fuel pump definitely need replaced?
MHPAUTOS
Check fuel pump relays, see pics for locations.

Mark (MHPAUTOS)
+1
WAORELLANA
Thank you for your help. What I ended up doing was checking to see if I got power at the fuel pump. Checking power at the fuel pump was little confusing because the electrical diagram shows the main wire to be black and blue. But the car only has a red and blue wire and all black wire and red and Grey wire. The red and blue wire had 11.47 volts and the red and Grey wire had 5.73 volt and the black wire had zero volts. I am a real novice at this but I am assuming that those numbers are good and the problem is the fuel pump? The other question is about the images that you provided. I tried to look for the same pictures in my Chilton manual. I understand one relay is on side of the passenger side and you have to remove the glove box, but the other picture I could not determine where on the engine that relay is at, This would be for future reference unless you still think I should check those relays still?
WAORELLANA
Ok I messed up in the last response I thought I was checking the power to the fuel pump but it turned out to be the power to the fuel gauge. So now I know that the fuel gauge is working. I did find the wire to the fuel pump and it is black and blue and it is not getting power. So it looks like I will need to test the fuel relay. I am pretty sure that I did find the fuel relay that is behind the glove box but the other fuel relay has got me confused, I found the shift cable under the hood. Is that relay under the hood or is that in the car under the driver side? Also can I test those relay some how?
MHPAUTOS
I am working off the pic as well as I am in Australia, the relay should click, you will feel it click, as for the other under the bonnet, I will see what I can find out.

+1
PRESSD01
  • 2001 MITSUBISHI MIRAGE
2001 Mitsubishi Mirage starts then stalls out. You give it gas and it still stalls. I checked plugs to find they were slightly fouled. Replaced ignition switch to ensure that it was not going bad. Fuel filter was also replaced to ensure there was not a fuel pressure problem. Engine has sufficent fuel pressure. What other things maybe causing the engine to not stay running after started. Engine runs for 15 to 20 seconds and dies.
Usuallly this is a fuel pressure problem if no service engine light is on. It shold be 39 psi with the vacuum line connected and 47-50 with it disconnected. Check it both ways. Then take choke cleaner and clean the throttle plate on both sides as well as the idle air control valve. Check for no holes in the duct work as it can cause this as well.
PRESSD01
Fuel pressure is 40 psi normal and 50 psi disconnected. Have cleaned the throttle body have not cleaned the idle air control valve as of yet. Air intake tube is solid with no holes in it. If the Idle air control valve is good is there any other areas I need to look toward.
If it still isn't running after the idle air control you might check resistance on cam sensor/crank sensor. Unfortunatley we don't have that info available. Some times thei resitance in those cause some of the problem like yours you might also check the ground to the pcm. That ground as well as for the cam sensosr is in the senter of firewall and check the ground in right kick panel. Otherwise without looking at it I havn'e much of an idea.