WHY DOES MY 1999 ECLIPSE SHUT OFF AFTER 30 MINUTES RUNNING?

• eclipse034
  • 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse

In spring of 2011, my Eclipse started dieing every once in a while. After about a week of this, it started to happen more frequently, and now I can have it run for about 15-30 minutes, then it shuts off. In order to start the car back up, I have to wait about another half hour.

Friday, October 21st, 2011 AT 3:14 PM

• rasmataz

Do you have a check engine light?

Next time it refuses to start don't wait for it to make up its mind-do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

Wednesday, October 26th, 2011 AT 11:52 AM