1999 Lincoln Town Car suspension problems

BIGDENNYBOY2
  • 1999 LINCOLN TOWN CAR
I sent in a question yesterday about an air suspension problem. I am in the process of changing email services so I don't remember which one I provided. Either one will work.
I added a donation for a prompt response from a certified professional, which has already been deducted from my account. Can you tell me when I might expect your reply, and what form it will be sent? Will it come by email?

Also by asking a question and donating, am I automatically registered as a member?

Your prompt reply to this and/or my question would be sincerely appreciated.

Dennis

Monday, July 22nd, 2013 AT 7:20 AM

WRENCHTECH
We don't even have a way to find your question so if you have a link to it, please provide it.
Monday, July 22nd, 2013 AT 9:00 AM
BIGDENNYBOY2
Hello Wrenchtech---

Thanks for the tip. I wasn't aware I was in an open forum, but communicating directly with someone at 2CarPros. I'm new at this so I would appreciate your understanding.

I used the name of Bigdennyboy2 to submit my followup question, trying to find out if the answeer was forthcoming. When I submitted my initial question My name was submitted as Bigdennyboy, but I couldn't use it because it was "taken" (by my first submssion)

So, this was the question for which I would appreciate your help:

There is a problem with the air spring system on my 1999 Lincoln TC. The back end sat down over night one day last week. Having had lincolns before I felt quite sure it was a leak in the air spring(s). After new air springs were installed, they wouldn't inflate.
Each time the car is started, the compressor starts and runs for a minute or two then shuts off, without any evidence of any air having entered the air springs. As a test, a used compressor that apparently was ok, was connected to the line and the result was the same as when the original pump was run. The compressor ran for a minute or so then shut off. Also, in both cases, the compressor outlet line was disconnected and was replaced by a connector with a stub piece of short hose to sense the air coming out of the compressor. The air stream at the end of this short hose was very weak, both in volume and pressure. When the engine was run for a while, the compressor continued to to cycle on and off in the same manner as described above, producing a weak air discharge. Is it possible that a control device such as a relay or solenoid ahead of the compressor is stuck in a partially open position, preventing a full flow af air to or from the compressor to the system?
As an additional observation, one side of the electrical connector to the pump has two black wires, one pink wire and a gray wire. A mechanic said that the pink wire that connected to the blue wire on the other side of the connector showed no sign of any power. I don't know whether this is significant, but I thought I'd mention it.
I would appreciate your expert analysis of the problem, given the symptoms above as well as a suggested solution. If you have any questions, I will try to respond immediately.
Thanks in advance for your prompt reply.

Bigdennyboy
Monday, July 22nd, 2013 AT 6:23 PM
WRENCHTECH
The pink is the vent control. It's not supposed to be powered. There are all kinds of things that could make this system act that way. It has a control module, relays and a data bus that feeds data from various other sensors. It should also have height sensors on the differential. This will not be a simple thing to diagnose if the problem isn't obvious.
Monday, July 22nd, 2013 AT 6:40 PM
BIGDENNYBOY2
Thanks Wrenchtech

Thanks for your answer.

Doesn't the fact that the compressor is delivering a very small volume of air at least point to a cause? Could it be such a thing like worn internals of the compressor(s)?

If it was a control problem wouldn't it seem unusual that air in a small volume would be delivered by the compressor?

Bigdennyboy
Tuesday, July 23rd, 2013 AT 10:54 AM
WRENCHTECH
I don't know what you are calling a small amount. They don't blow very hard. You said the compressor is shutting off before the car is lifted. That still leaves it wide open for any possibilities, including the compressor.
Tuesday, July 23rd, 2013 AT 11:31 AM
BIGDENNYBOY2
Hi Wrenchtech

I'm sorry I wasn't specific using the term "small amount" of air. The volume (cfm) nor the pressure (psi) at the tube outlet were not measured. But I would think that there would be a strong stream of air, both volume and pressure, to inflate two air springs whose volume is about a cubic foot and which support a couple thousand pounds load.

As an expert do you know what the delivery volume and pressure of the compressor should be?

Bigdennyboy
Tuesday, July 23rd, 2013 AT 2:39 PM
WRENCHTECH
There is no published specification for that. Again, there are a dozen or more reasons for something like that. The line could be leaking somewhere among other things. This is not a problem that you will find a magic answer online. The system has to be inspected to determine the cause of the problem. This system also stores trouble codes that can be accessed with a factory scan tool or equivalent.
Tuesday, July 23rd, 2013 AT 2:46 PM
BIGDENNYBOY2
I guess I know why 2CarPros calls your rating of urgency for an answer, a donation. A donation is something one gives freely without an expection receiving anything in return. That's about what I got.

If a problem is obvious, it doesn't require an expert mechanic to solve, does it?

I appreciate your patience in communicating with me, so maybe you've earned the $10 "donation". But I sure didn't get what I expected. At least a suggestion that might lead to a solution of my problem.
Bigdennyboy
Tuesday, July 23rd, 2013 AT 5:04 PM
WRENCHTECH
I'm an automotive technician, not a magician. This is a very technical problem which would not be easy for even an experienced tech actually working on the vehicle and using thousands of dollars of advanced diagnostic equipment. We spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in test equipment just so we can do our job and even then it's not easy. I can answer technical questions or I can supply schematics and diagrams but if I could solve problems like this from home, I would never have to go to work. I don't get your money. The site uses that to help other people. I think your expectations are quite unreasonable.
Tuesday, July 23rd, 2013 AT 5:13 PM
BIGDENNYBOY2
Hi Wrenchtech--

I didn't mean to imply that you get the donation. Sorry.

If you have schematics and/or wiring diagrams of the Lincoln Towncar air suspension system I would appreciate it if you could attach them to a reply. That would be a really helpful reply.

Regards,

Bigdennyboy

.
Wednesday, July 24th, 2013 AT 10:08 AM
WRENCHTECH
Here ya go
Wednesday, July 24th, 2013 AT 11:17 AM