Fuel filter

TOMSANTANIELLO
  • 1999 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
Need help removing fuel lines from fuel filter
Friday, April 8th, 2011 AT 3:41 PM

FREEMBA
Relieve fuel pressure before starting the job (remvoe the fuel pump relay from the underhood fuse box--start the engine--it will die after a few seconds due to lack of fuel--now the pressure has been relieved). DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE RELAY BACK IN AFTER YOU HAVE FINISHED CHANGING THE FILTER.

To disconnect the fuel lines: push the line inward towards the filter and hold pressure on it. Squeeze the white tabs (inward) on the fuel line. While holding the tabs, pull the fuel ine away from the filter.

Have a drain pan and a shop rag handy because some fuel will leak.
Friday, April 8th, 2011 AT 4:15 PM
WRENCHTECH
One answer is sufficient. Your duplicating all your answers.
Friday, April 8th, 2011 AT 4:45 PM
ROGER, MANY TIMES WHILE SUBMITTING AN ANSWER, THE SITE INDICATES THAT YOUR SUBMISSION WAS LOST (WHEN YOU RETURN MINUTES LATER, TO VERIFY) IT STILL REMAINS UN-ANSWERED AND IS NOT IN YOUR PERSONAL LIST, EITHER.I HAVE WRITTEN ENTIRE NOVELS OVER AGAIN TO INSURE MY VICTIM HAD SOMETHING TO GO ON! ON SEVERAL, I NOTICED MIKE, OR SOMEONE, SAW THE PROBLEM AND LEFT THE BETTER SOUNDING ANSWER IN, REMOVED THE OTHER--THE MEDIC
Friday, April 8th, 2011 AT 6:15 PM
TOMSANTANIELLO
Thank you for your reply, freemba. It helped me with replacing my fuel filter - but it turns out that was apparently not the cause of my problem, which is that my engine is stalling. If I could give you more info on what I am dealng with and ask for more advice: my engine died while I was pullng out of a parking lot, but I was able to get the car started right away and drive home for 15-20 miles. Then in my driveway the car started stalling again, and eventually the engine would not turn over at all. I thought the most common thing would be to replace the fuel filter, which I did. I then let the car sit idle for 20 minutes and the engine cut off again, and the car will not start now. I am thinking maybe it is the fuel injector now. Does this sound right? What should I check for?

Thanks for any further advice anyone can provide.
Friday, April 8th, 2011 AT 8:23 PM
WRENCHTECH
You need to monitor the fuel pressure using an accurate gauge during the failure. The filters don't really cause it to die but they do damage the fuel pump which a very common failure.
Friday, April 8th, 2011 AT 8:34 PM