HOW DO YOU REMOVE A HITCH? WITHOUT GETTING A GRINDER AND JUST GOING BALISTIC THAT IS :)

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

dwmcclure84

May, 30, 2012 AT 1:04 PM

Hey Guys-
Earlier I posted about a jeep dying randomly. After doing a fuel pressure test like recommended, it was determined that the fuel pump was failing. Looked at the instructions and decided "hey I can do this." Well.
I am having a stupid problem. My Jeep grand cherokee (1999 4.7 V8) came with a factory installed hitch receiver. When I was removing the bolts for the hitch I removed too many and the actual tank dropped, wedging the hitch in and trapping the tank behind the hitch.
My Question Is-How do I remove the hitch?

May, 30, 2012 AT 1:27 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKmI9lsMz3U

Try the above link.

dwmcclure84

May, 30, 2012 AT 3:01 PM

Thanks for the link, however my hitch appears to be different from that one. Near the rear of the hitch (towards the front of the jeep) there is a piece of metal that has a hole for one bolt that goes on top of the skid plate/fuel tank assembly. All nuts are removed that are visable (and that were shown in the video), but the hitch is not budging.

May, 31, 2012 AT 3:30 PM

Something is still holding the hitch and you need to check if there are any bolts or nuts holding it from above.

dwmcclure84

May, 31, 2012 AT 3:50 PM

Actually I found them. There are a total of 3 bolts near the two rear tire wells (a total of 6), four clips near the hitch itself, and last night I found 2 10mm bolts that were under the rear fender going up into the cargo area. Thanks for all the help!

May, 31, 2012 AT 4:33 PM

You're welcome.

Glad to know you have the problem fixed.

Have a great day.

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test