Water Pump removal

BROLLAND
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS

Have a 3.0 DOHC and am replacing Water Pump. Was able to get 3 of the nuts off the pump bracket and removed the a/c bracket piece but cannot get the 4th nut removed that was hidden behind the a/c bracket. Any tips on removing it? Cannot seem to get any socket or wrench on it. HELP!

Sunday, December 12th, 2010 AT 11:10 PM

BMRFIXIT

Here is a guide to show you what you are in for when doing the job.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/water-pump-replacement

Here are directions for your car.

Water Pump
Removal

Drain engine cooling system as described.

Release drive belt tensioner (6B209) and remove drive belt (8620) .
Remove the upper radiator hose from the water pump connections.

Remove the crankshaft pulley.

Disconnect lower radiator hose from water pump.

Disconnect heater hose from water pump.

Remove A/C compressor to water pump brace.

Remove two bottom nuts retaining water pump (8501) to engine and remove water pump .

Lower vehicle.

Remove two top nuts retaining water pump to engine.

Remove the water pump from vehicle.

Installation

Place water pump onto engine and carefully install into position until seated.

Install two top retaining nuts. Tighten to 20-30 Nm (15-22 lb-ft).

Raise vehicle.

Install two bottom retaining nuts. Tighten to 20-30 Nm (15-22 lb-ft).

Install radiator and heater water hose to the water pump . Position clamps securely.

Install A/C compressor to water pump bracket. Tighten bolts to 20-30 Nm (15-22 lb-ft).

Install the crankshaft pulley.
Install the upper radiator hose to water pump.

Install drive belt .

CAUTION: Use extreme care to keep coolant mixture off of the drive belt and pulleys. If needed, remove drive belt and rinse with clear water. Clean pulleys and install drive belt. Belt squeal and early belt fatigue will occur otherwise.

Fill engine cooling system

Please let us know if you need anything else.

+1
Tuesday, December 14th, 2010 AT 1:04 AM
WALKERIV
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS
  • MERGED

Engine Cooling problem
1999 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 170000 miles

how do I replace the water pump?

Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017 AT 4:14 PM
SATURNTECH9
  • MERGED

I need the 8th digit of your vin so I can get you the correct info.

Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017 AT 4:14 PM
REDBIRDZ97
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS
  • MERGED

Engine Cooling problem
1999 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 115000 miles

Hello, I have a 1999 ford taurus 3.0 liter engine. I have replaced thermostat, water pump and the cooling resevoir twice on this car. Seems to do fine on the highway but as soon as you get off or run it in the driveway it consistantly overheats and blows through the side of the cooling resevoir. Not out the cap where it is supposed too. I have flushed the radiator, the cooling fans are running. I have looked in the oil and haven't seen any of the telltale milky white leading me to believe that the headgasket is fine and outside of the water getting pushed out of the resevoir I have noticed no coolant leaking/disappearing. Any clue what is going on here?

Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017 AT 4:14 PM
  • MERGED

Have you flushed the radiator and engine block? Also, have you checked engine compression to make sure it's not a head gasket? Also, when this happens, have you checked to see if one of the radiator hoses is collapsing?

Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017 AT 4:14 PM
REDBIRDZ97
  • MERGED

Yes I have flushed both radiator and block. No I haven't checked the compression but with this problem happening for a few months now if it was the head gasket I would have thought that I would have seem something in the oil. Maybe not? Haven't noticed hoses collapsing will check that tomorrow. Is a rotted out radiator a common possible thing? Meaning the inner workings are somewhat rusted away? When I flushed it I did and still do get somewhat of a rusty color even though I use a green antifreeze not the orange stuff. And this is when I flush from the resoviour through the radiator taking the hose loose at the thermo stat before it goes back into engine.

Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017 AT 4:14 PM
  • MERGED

Actually, you don't have to see coolant in the oil to have a bad head gasket. It could be leaking compression and you would never know.

As far as the radiator, what happens is they corrode inside and don't allow the coolant to properly circulate. If there are any radiator shops near you, you may want to remove the radiator and have it rodded out. They actually boil the radiator in a solution that will eliminate the corrosion and build up. Where I am, near Pittsburgh, there is a shop that does it for around 30 bucks, and when they finish, you can't tell the radiator from a new one. They have always worked for me for years after the work is done.

Keep in mind, flushing from the overflow really doesn't allow that much pressure to clean out the radiator, so this may be a condsideration for you.

Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017 AT 4:14 PM
REDBIRDZ97
  • MERGED

Thank you very much, gave me some other things to look at. Appreciate all the help, I'll see where it goes from here.

Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017 AT 4:14 PM
  • MERGED

Let me know what you find.

Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017 AT 4:14 PM
SEXYCRIS05
  • 1999 FORD TAURUS
  • MERGED

Engine Cooling problem

I want to know how to replace the water pump

Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017 AT 4:17 PM
BMRFIXIT
  • MERGED

I can help
i need to know what size engine do u have

Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017 AT 4:17 PM
CHRIS MACEWICZ
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
  • MERGED

Engine Cooling problem
1997 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 144000 miles

Im having problems changing my water pump on my car I ask my father the mechanic for help but he lives in a diferrent sate I jack it up some of the bolts off it my serpentine belt is already of I cant locate where the moter mount are so I can jack my egine up to the rest of my water pump I need to see in a picture please help me email is cjmace2003@gamil. Com or cell number is 623-330-0336

Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017 AT 4:18 PM
BMRFIXIT
  • MERGED

WATER PUMP
Removal
Disconnect negative battery cable. Drain cooling system. Release drive belt tensioner. Remove drive belt. Remove radiator hose and heater hose from water pump. Remove A/C compressor-to-water pump brace (if equipped). Remove water pump bolts and remove water pump.
Installation
Clean gasket mating surfaces. Tighten water pump bolts to specification.
To complete installation, reverse removal procedure. Tighten bolts to specification. Fill cooling system. Start engine and check for leaks.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017 AT 4:18 PM