1999 Ford Ranger blue smoke issue

WARTPIGX
  • 1999 FORD RANGER

After my truck is at running temp for around 20 min and I stop at a light for a minute, or if it idles for a few miutes. When I hit the accelerator it will blow out a puff or sometimes a cloud of blueish smoke. The longer its been running the more it will puff out when I takeoff. It never smokes otherwise.

this time last year I replaced the heads and all the workings inside cause they cracked. So I know its not valves or the head gasket. I replaced the PCV valve today and it runs alot better but it still smokes when I leave a stop light/sign. Its not as bad as it was before I replaced the PCV valve tho. Im out of ideas as to whats wrong? The check engine light comes on after being on the highway for a while. My father has a code reader and he said the O2 sensor was slow to respond and its running lean. But no performance issues (yet).

its a stock 99 ford ranger xlt. V6 4.0 OHV. It dose burn a very small amount of oil between changes. About a half quart. It runs excelent besides the small smoke puffs and the check engine light.

Saturday, June 1st, 2013 AT 2:37 AM

MHPAUTOS

Proberbly some ring degeneration, I would get a leak down test to get an indication as to piston ring condition.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Saturday, June 1st, 2013 AT 4:58 AM
WARTPIGX

Ok. Will do. I only drive it about once a week and the top half rebuild was only 2500 miles ago. Gonna suck if I missed the rings when we went through it.

Saturday, June 1st, 2013 AT 2:23 PM
MHPAUTOS

Doing a top end only can often cause oil burning on cars with some time on the engine, the leak down test will show any ring problem.

Saturday, June 1st, 2013 AT 4:52 PM
WARTPIGX

Everything came back fine. Im gonna try putting in some different oil.

Tuesday, June 4th, 2013 AT 3:59 PM
MHPAUTOS

If you do this make sure that you use a mineral based oil.

Wednesday, June 5th, 2013 AT 3:45 AM