BATTERY GOES DEAD

1999 Ford Explorer

Anthony Barbieri

December, 5, 2010 AT 7:47 PM

I have a 99 Ford Explorer. That I just use for fishing I do not use it daily. In the winter when it sits for about two weeks the battery goes dead. I have had it jumped by Triple A and they said the alternator and the battery appear to be working fine. I am not where this vehicle is every day so I cannot start it every day. I want to have some idea what I should be asking the auto repair shop to look at rather than go thru an expensive trial and error exercise.

legitimate007

December, 5, 2010 AT 8:13 PM

Well in the winter, it is easy for the cold to pull the batteries voltage over a period of a couple of weeks, especially if it is not a new batter, but I am also thinking that you may have a very small parasitic drain, like a clove box light or something small.

Frnc11

December, 7, 2010 AT 5:11 AM

He is right about the parasitic drain. This is a problem that Ford is aware of but they won't tell you about or file a recall (I know someone on the inside). I own the same model (1999 Ford Explorer 5.0L) and unless the vehicle is started daily to recharge, the battery will almost surely die. I left it for a week on vacation and had to spend another $80 on a new battery by the time I got back.

legitimate007

December, 7, 2010 AT 7:56 PM

Thanks Frnc11, you will have to check everything to make sure nothing is left on, including cigarette lighters, clocks etc. If you wont be there to start it withing forty eight hours, unplug the negative cable, and wrap the battery if you have to, (with a towel or something)depending on how cold and treacherous it gets where your located

Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Guide
Alternator testing done right