BATTERY

1999 Ford Explorer

AdamClev

August, 27, 2013 AT 6:12 PM

So I live in CNY. My truck sat from January until recently. I jump started it weekly but the battery still went dead. So I took battery out and hooked up a Schumacher 6/2 amp dual rate battery charger model SE-82-6. I left it on for almost 24 hours, the charge was up to about 6% when I left for work this morning, when I got home it was back to zero. Battery and charger were pretty warm but not hot to touch. So in good hopes I still went and hooked it up and it Atwater gave me a dead battery clicking sound when tried to start the truck. So my question is should I take it back out and hook it back up to the charger and how long can I actually leave the battery on the charger?
Also I noticed that my brake fluid was low and pedal went very far down so I filled up reservoir and pedal still dropped far and fluid is empty again but I don't see any wetness anywhere. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam C

AdamClev

August, 27, 2013 AT 6:31 PM

Oh also forgot to mention that when I do jump the truck and check the info board it says voltage level and everything else ok.

August, 27, 2013 AT 6:42 PM

I'M NOT REAL KEEN ON THE INITIALS FOR YOUR LOCATION....I'M SORTA A COUNTRY BOY

THIS IS THE POSSIBILITIES I CAN THINK OF...........

THE BATTERY MAY HAVE SEEN BETTER DAYS......DOES IT STILL HAVE A WARRANTY?......CAN YOU HAVE IT "THOROUGHLY" TESTED WHERE YOU ARE AT?..........AROUND HERE, POPULAR AUTO PARTS STORES WILL LOAD TEST THEM FOR FREE!

(I'M KINDA THINKING THE ONE ABOVE IS THE PROBLEM)

A BAD STARTER MIGHT ALSO HAVE THE SAME SYMPTOMS......HOWEVER, WITH WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT ATTEMPTING TO CHARGE IT.......I MIGHT RULE THIS ONE OUT

THEN WE HAVE THE "CONNECTIONS POSSIBILITY"........YOU SAID IT HAS BEEN SITTING FOR SOME TIME, CORROSION MAY HAVE ESCALATED.....READ "MY ANSWER" IN THIS LINK.....OTHER THAN POSSIBLY NEEDING A CLAMP OR SOMETHING SIMPLE, DOING THIS STUFF WILL NOT COST YOU ANYTHING

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1996-chevrolet-tahoe-wont-start-sounds-dead-battery-jumpbox-get-same-reults

I MADE SOME PICS AT THE END OF MY 1ST ANSWER IN THE LINK

I HOPE THIS WILL BE THIS SIMPLE..............BUT I'M STILL LEANING TOWARD YOUR BATTERY MAY BE BAD......EVEN BRAND NEW ONES, RIGHT OFF OF THE SHELF, CAN BE BAD!

KEEP US POSTED

AdamClev

August, 27, 2013 AT 7:24 PM

Thanks for your quick response will check everything you said and ill by an auto parts store tomorrow with the battery there's one about 20 miles from me. Oh and CNY is Central New York not New York City I'm in the sticks not a neigh or in sight! Gotta love the country.
Thanks again will keep you posted

August, 27, 2013 AT 7:41 PM

STEP-SON IS IN WATERTOWN

I'M DOWN HERE IN THE PROMISED LAND....S.C.

MAYBE THIS WILL HELP YOU...IF YOU GOTTA SPEND MONEY?.....SCROLL THRU THIS WHOLE THREAD

MAYBE THIS IS THE STORE YOU WILL BE GOING TO?

'MEMBER, YOU CAN DO THIS ON YOUR PHONE IN THEIR PARKING LOT!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2001-dodge-neon-milage-just-want-put-fliuds-their-locations

JUST FOR GIGGLES, YOU MIGHT TRY A FEW "DRY RUNS" OF INSTALLING YOUR INFO.....FINDING A BATTERY (SEARCH BOX).....INSTALL THE PROMO THAT WORKS BEST......SEE IF THE PRICES DROP...ON YOUR COMPUTER TONIGHT

WAIT 'TILL YOU ACTUALLY NEED TO GET ONE AT THE STORE PARKING LOT, BEFORE YOU ACTUALLY PURCHASE IT ONLINE AND USE THE P/U AT STORE OPTION.........YOU HAVE TO PURCHASE IT ONLINE FOR THIS TO WORK

SOUND LIKE A PLAN???

Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006