1999 Dodge Stratus heater

SHANTYTOWN
  • 1999 DODGE STRATUS
  • 140 MILES
My heat stopped working. So I repaced the thermastat, and fluids are up, but still blowing cold.
Friday, February 14th, 2014 AT 9:52 PM

Feel the heater hoses when the engine is warmed up. They should be too hot to hold onto for very long. If they are not, suspect a plugged heater core. If they are, suspect a problem with an actuator on the heater box.
+1
Friday, February 14th, 2014 AT 10:06 PM
SHANTYTOWN
I have went out, and took of the rad cap, let it run for a little bit, but still blowing cold air. The gauge was crawling to fast I think. But if there is girggleing sounds, what does that mean, do you know?
Saturday, February 15th, 2014 AT 12:08 PM
SHANTYTOWN
There is no sweating or any odurs, or sweatting on the windows.
Saturday, February 15th, 2014 AT 12:10 PM
SHANTYTOWN
My rad is throwing up, when I had it running, what does that mean?
Saturday, February 15th, 2014 AT 12:12 PM
Have your mechanic perform a chemical test at the radiator to check for a leaking cylinder head gasket. That involves drawing air, while the engine is running, through a glass cylinder with two chambers partially-filled with a special dark blue liquid. If combustion gases are present, the liquid will turn bright yellow.
Saturday, February 15th, 2014 AT 3:49 PM
SHANTYTOWN
Hello; there is nothing like that.
Saturday, February 15th, 2014 AT 3:56 PM
Nothing like what? Are you referring to the tester? Every shop has them. Every auto parts store has them to buy or borrow but if you borrow it, they will make you buy your own bottle of liquid because it can be contaminated and won't work for the next guy. Many mechanics own their own testers. They get used almost every day.
Saturday, February 15th, 2014 AT 4:59 PM
SHANTYTOWN
No, I'm referring to the one where you said is there any leaks or different colors.
Saturday, February 15th, 2014 AT 5:04 PM
You mean the chemical test was done and came up as no leaking head gasket? If so, dandy. Everything else points to the coolant level just being low. If it is, you can add a small bottle of dye to the coolant, then search later with a black light. The dye will show up as a bright yellow stain that you can follow back to the source. Even though the chemical test came up negative, still check for the dye inside the tail pipe. That also indicates a leaking head gasket, even when no combustion gases are getting pushed into the cooling system.
Saturday, February 15th, 2014 AT 5:17 PM
SHANTYTOWN
Ok thank you.
Saturday, February 15th, 2014 AT 5:33 PM