Air Conditioning problem

FABIAN83
  • 1999 DODGE RAM

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram Sport 5.2L and the AC does not work, when I turn the AC on the temperature does not change so can you tell me what I can do to figure out this problem?

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 6:44 AM

SATURNTECH9

Doea your ac compressor kick on when you turn the ac on?

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 7:05 AM
FABIAN83

How can I tell if the compressor kicks on?

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 7:10 AM
SATURNTECH9

If the center of the ac compressor is turning when you turn the ac on?

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 7:14 AM
FABIAN83

I will have to check this tomorrow and see if the compressor is working. Thanks for the information.

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 7:17 AM
SATURNTECH9

Your welcome your also going to have to check the high and low pressures also. Does your temp door work also?

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 7:23 AM
FABIAN83

I think the temp door works because when I turn the temp knob I can hear something that sounds like it's moving.

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 7:27 AM
SATURNTECH9

Also if the engine is hot when selecting the hot temp the heater will operate like normal. Then when going to the blue setting the temp will blow alot cooler.

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 7:30 AM
FABIAN83

Thanks for the information, I am going to check these things tomorrow and see if I can figure it out.

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 7:36 AM
SATURNTECH9

Alright keep me posted.

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 7:42 AM
FABIAN83

I was checking to make sure the temp door works and when the truck is hot and I select the hot temp it blows hot air and when I select the cold temp the temperature changes to cold air does this mean it is working correctly? I also was checking to see if the center of the AC compressor is turning when the AC is turned on and it is not turning, does this mean the compressor has failed or is there something else I can do to try to get it working?

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 8:43 PM
SATURNTECH9

Sounds like the temp door is working correctly. Now you need to check the pressure of the system to see if its high enough to turn the compressor on.

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 9:04 PM
FABIAN83

Will I need to bring the truck to a mechanic that has the proper tool that checks pressure on the system? Also is there any fuses or relays that I can check before I go any further trying to figure out this problem?

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 9:12 PM
SATURNTECH9

On your other question you asked there is another moderator that telles you where to check the power. Also when the engine is cool and turned offf see if the center of the ac compressor turns freely. You buy a set of gauges they have a cheap set at harbor frieght even.

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 9:17 PM
FABIAN83

If the center of the ac compressor does not turn freely does it mean the compressor is not repairable, and what kind of pressure should be on the system to make it work correctly.

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 9:33 PM
SATURNTECH9

Yea if the center doesnt turn freely the compressor is siezed but doubt it is since its nit trying to stall while turning it on. You see around 100 psi.

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 9:39 PM
FABIAN83

The center of the compressor do spin freely and I also checked the ac clutch relay and fuse and they are not blown, I will have to check the pressure on the system and go from there. Thanks.

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 10:00 PM
SATURNTECH9

Your welcome keep me posted.

Friday, August 10th, 2012 AT 10:22 PM