MY BUDDIES 1999 DURANGO 4WD 5

1999 Dodge Durango

ROB B.

April, 3, 2013 AT 1:57 PM

MY BUDDIES, 1999 DURANGO 4WD 5.9 BLEW UP THE TRANSFER CASE ON THE FREEWAY DOING ABOUT 65. HAD TO HAVE IT TOWED HOME. THE MOTOR STARTS AND SOUNDS LIKE NOTHING HAS HAPPENED BUT THE 4WD TRANSMISSION IS BLOWN UP CRACKED GARBAGE. WHEN WE MOVE IT THE AXLE THINS CLUNK WHEN THE WHEELS TURN WHEN WE PUSH IT IN THE DRIVE WAY. HE WANTS TO SELL IT TO ME FOR $1000 THE TRUCK IS BEAUTIFUL. MY QUESTION IS CAN I DISCONNECT THE TRANSFER CASE OR THE 4WD THING AND DRIVE IT?THANK YOU. ROB

Jacobandnickolas

April, 3, 2013 AT 1:59 PM

Hi: The transmission in the vehicle is designed to bolt to the transfer case and from there power to the wheels is provided by the transfer case. I would suggest finding a good transfer case in a salvage yard and just fix it.

Jacobandnickolas

April, 3, 2013 AT 2:00 PM

By the way, see how much a transfer case is (salvage) and ask your friend if he will take that amount off the selling price.

ROB B.

April, 3, 2013 AT 2:06 PM

But is it possible to do like I asked to move (drive)it for 40 miles?Thank u

Jacobandnickolas

April, 3, 2013 AT 2:08 PM

If the transfer case is broken, no you can't drive it. And no, there is no way to eliminate the transfer case.

Oil Change and Filter Replacement BMW 525i
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Element
Engine Oil Change and Filter Scion xD
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler