Keep getting message on the DIC, "starting disabled"

ADKINSCARL
  • 1999 CADILLAC DEVILLE

Remove key theft system problem. Car may not start. How do you reset it? I replaced the battery and passenger side drive axles. In what position do I leave the key in when leaving it to relearn. The dealer said that it was the key cylinder, that there was no way to reset the theft system. They said that the cylinder had two white wires that moved every time you cranked the car and that over time that they would break. But I just do not understand how it was working just fine before I put the new drive axles in and put a new battery in. After I replaced both of them I went to crank it up to check my transmission fluid, but it would not start and I got the message's. I will try the key for twenty minutes, but if that does not work what should I do next?Thanks in advance. If that works I will be more than glad to donate to the site the money I save by not having to take it to a dealer.

Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 6:23 PM

CADIEMAN

The wires breaking in by the ignitions which is a common problem on these car BTW.

Here is the procedure to get to the wires and fix them so the car will start. (Below)

Reconnect the broken wires and you will be all set

Cheers!

-1
Tuesday, February 21st, 2012 AT 12:50 AM
ADKINSCARL

Thanks for the advice cadieman, I left the key in the on position for twenty minutes and it ran down the brand new battery that I just bought yesterday. So I Googled some more and talk with a few other people who had the same problem with their Cadillac as I did. I ran across this one website that showed how to bypass the security system. So I went to radioshack and got everything I needed to bypass the whole system and built it. Put it in and bypassed the security system and what do you know it started and all the codes went off and have not come back on. So to everyone who gave me advice on here thanks but none of it work, and for an 1/8 of the price of a new cylinder lock and a set of new keys I fixed. I guess you could say it was a poor man's fix.

+9
Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012 AT 5:28 AM
CADIEMAN

Nice work, we are here to help, please use 2CarPros anytime.

Cheers

+1
Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012 AT 10:36 PM
RANGER RICK1117

Okay I got the "problem with theft system " message. I did the resister bypass & got within 4 ohms of the key resister reading. Now I get the "starting disabled " code. What next? Also the cat, 1998 caddy d'elegance, went through hurricane Harvey and took on water nearly to the top of driveshaft hump/bottom of the brake pedal. Water wasn't up long, none in oil, tranny, or up under dash. Could it have effected something I ain't aware of?

Thursday, August 31st, 2017 AT 1:41 PM
2CARPROS KEN

It sounds like the BCM got wet in the trunk, I would unplug it and looks for corrosion on one of the terminals in the connector then allow the the BCM to dry completely of a couple of days unplugged. Here is a wiring diagram and location (below) and a guide to help you check for power and ground.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Please let us know what happens so it will help others.

Cheers, Ken

Monday, September 4th, 2017 AT 12:17 PM
RANGER RICK1117
  • 1998 CADILLAC DEVILLE

I did the resistor bypass and got within four ohms of key reading 2374 to now 2378. Hooked it all line between two white wires inside an orange cover. Now I am getting the "starting disabled" message. Where do I go from there?

+1
Monday, September 4th, 2017 AT 12:18 PM (Merged)
2CARPROS KEN

Bypassing the security system is tricky business Im would recommend just fixing the wires it costs nothing by time and a little wiring fix.

Tuesday, November 7th, 2017 AT 2:39 PM