Keep getting message on the DIC, "starting disabled"

ADKINSCARL
  • 1999 CADILLAC DEVILLE

Remove key theft system problem. Car may not start. How do you reset it? I replaced the battery and passenger side drive axles.

Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 6:23 PM

CADIEMAN

Leave the key on twenty minutes it needs to relearn.

-1
Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 7:44 PM
ADKINSCARL

In what position do I leave the key in when leaving it to relearn. The dealer said that it was the key cylinder, that there was no way to reset the theft system. They said that the cylinder had two white wires that moved every time you cranked the car and that over time that they would break. But I just do not understand how it was working just fine before I put the new drive axles in and put a new battery in. After I replaced both of them I went to crank it up to check my transmission fluid, but it would not start and I got the message's. I will try the key for twenty minutes, but if that does not work what should I do next?Thanks in advance. If that works I will be more than glad to donate to the site the money I save by not having to take it to a dealer.

-1
Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 11:26 PM
CADIEMAN

Check the key is the pellet missing from the key? On relearn you just leave it on. If the cylinder is bad you will need to remove the two white wires at the connector then you install the new ones then put the connector together. Insert one car key in the cylinder and try to start it with the other key if it starts you will need to install a new cylinder due to the tools needed find a mobile steering column repair co.

Tuesday, February 21st, 2012 AT 12:50 AM
ADKINSCARL

Thanks for the advise cadieman, but it did not work. I left the key in the on position for twenty minutes and it ran down the brand new battery that I just bought yesterday. So I Googled some more and talk with a few other people who had the same problem with there Cadillac as I did. I ran across this one website that showed how to bypass the security system. So I went to radio shack and got everything I needed to bypass the whole system and built it. Put it in and bypassed the security system and what do you know it started and all the codes went off and have not come back on. So to everyone who gave me advice on here thanks but none of it work, and for an 1/8 of the price of a new cylinder lock and a set of new keys I fixed. I guess you could say it was a poor mans fix.

+8
Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012 AT 5:28 AM
CADIEMAN

We all know this but are not supposed to recommend this type of repair because you took out your whole security system now your car has no alarm and is open to theft. Hook a toggle switch up on one of the white wires and hide it under the dash. This will keep the car from starting until you flick the switch.

+1
Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012 AT 10:36 PM
RANGER RICK1117

Okay I got the "problem with theft system " message. I did the resister bypass & got within 4 ohms of the key resister reading. Now I get the "starting disabled " code. What next? Also the cat, 1998 caddy d'elegance, went through hurricane Harvey and took on water nearly to the top of driveshaft hump/bottom of the brake pedal. Water wasn't up long, none in oil, tranny, or up under dash. Could it have effected something I ain't aware of?

Thursday, August 31st, 2017 AT 1:41 PM
2CARPROS KEN

It sounds like the BCM got wet in the trunk, I would unplug it and looks for corrosion on one of the terminals in the connector then allow the the BCM to dry completely of a couple of days unplugged. Here is a wiring diagram and location (below) and a guide to help you check for power and ground.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Please let us know what happens so it will help others.

Cheers, Ken

Monday, September 4th, 2017 AT 12:17 PM
RANGER RICK1117
  • 1998 CADILLAC DEVILLE

I did the resistor bypass and got within four ohms of key reading 2374 to now 2378. Hooked it all line between two white wires inside an orange cover. Now I am getting the "starting disabled" message. Where do I go from there?

Monday, September 4th, 2017 AT 12:18 PM (Merged)