Driverside windows won't go up or down

ELR3
  • 1999 CADILLAC DEVILLE
I have a 1999 Cadillac Deville. The driver side windows will not go up or down. There is no sound whatsoever from either the front or rear. I tried the rear window on it's own switch and it doesn't work or make a sound. Any suggestions? On my last car I took a wire and ran it from the battery to the window motor.
Friday, August 12th, 2011 AT 8:40 PM

FACTORYJACK
You would either need to check that power and ground is coming out of the switch to the motors, or check it at the motors. Switches were known to fail on these years. Does the left rear work with it's dedicated switch?

You could apply power and ground to the motor, and it should go one way or the other depending on the polarity. The chance that you had two motors fail at the same time would be unlikely, so they would probably work. That would lead you back to having to do electrical checks of the circuits. If you have a test light and can use it, you can check first if power is getting to the motors, and if not trace it back in the circuits. I got you a schematic for reference.

Here are some guides and diagrams to help you start testing

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers
Saturday, August 13th, 2011 AT 2:50 AM
ELR3
Thanks gstacey. I really used that schematic and the window switch was bad nice work 2Carpros you guys are smart. Save me big cash I like that. I will tell me friends.
+1
Saturday, August 13th, 2011 AT 4:52 AM
ADAMPUDLINER
Thanks for the post. I am having the same problem but with all four windows. I replaced the switch and it works.

Thanks!
+2
Monday, January 30th, 2012 AT 3:44 PM
NAHNNTU
Fixed my car too, you guys are great :)
+1
Tuesday, March 31st, 2015 AT 12:35 PM