Coolant temperature

MARKVELLUTATO
  • 1999 CADILLAC DEVILLE

. Digital coolant temperature reading on the dash perfect at about 190 degrees. If I sit at a long red light or just creep along in a traffic jam, the coolant temperature will go as high as 220-224 degrees. Is this normal? How high can the coolant temperature get before I need to worry about blowing a head gasket?

Wednesday, May 4th, 2011 AT 3:02 AM

FACTORYJACK

It could be normal. As long as there is no message of engine overheat. The characteristic of a Northstar is not necessarily a head gasket blowing, but much more a condition of the threads in the block failing causing lost clamping force and internal leakage. Make sure your cooling fans are coming on, at a minimum when the A/C is requested, and also at the higher coolant temperatures.

+2
Wednesday, May 4th, 2011 AT 4:26 AM
WRENCHTECH

That would be completely normal. The electric cooling fans are not programmed to come on until around 226 degrees. As long as the temperature responds to the fans, you are fine.

+19
Wednesday, May 4th, 2011 AT 1:00 PM
CADIEMAN

You need to watch the temperature on the dash. It will go to 220's then you will see it start going down when the fans come on. When the temperature is low enough they will turn off. When you see the temperature go back to 220's they will turn back on. The heater core could be leaking. The A/C case has a drain it has a rubber hose coming out of the A/C case. It is right below the evaporator. Check it for coolant leaking.

+9
Wednesday, May 4th, 2011 AT 4:45 PM

Related Cylinder Head Gasket Content

Recommended guides