Skipping

JACK DAVIDSON
  • 1999 ACURA TL
I installed a new EGR valve, cleaned the intake manifold including the EGR port. Put SeaFoam in the gas, oil, and a little thru the vacume lines. I'm not getting any of the P0300 thru P0306 or P0401 DTCs anymore. BUT I'm still getting the P1399 DTC w/ a mild skip under load. The plugs are new Bosch 4428 +4 PLatinums What else could be causing the P1399? Or do I just need to let the SeaFoam work its" way thru the systems?
Monday, April 4th, 2011 AT 12:45 PM

KHLOW2008
P1399 is a temporary code for misfiring and the misfiring code should be back sooner or later.

What is the plug gap setting?

Have you tested the coils?
Monday, April 4th, 2011 AT 1:11 PM
JACK DAVIDSON
The Bosch 4428s are the "NO-Gap" style plugs and I haven't messed w/ that. I was going to test the coils if I kept getting specific misfires (P0301-P0306), but those DTC(s) went away. Now it just the P1399. Is there a specific procedure to test the coil itself, other than faul isolating thru the wiring between the plug-connector and the ECM? I can do that, but didn't want to as there's no specific misfire to id which cylinder I should testing?
Monday, April 4th, 2011 AT 1:21 PM
JACK DAVIDSON
Additionally, someone told me to replace the Bosch w/ the NGK(s). I thought the Bosch were pretty good plugs. But if they're part of the problem, I'ss certainly replace them.
Monday, April 4th, 2011 AT 1:37 PM
KHLOW2008
The gapping might not be as specified. I would try replacing them first to see if it solves the problem.

Have the compression tested if changing the plugs does not help.

Coils can be tested for resistance but if it is misfiring on all cylinders, the likelyood of all coils failing at the same time is almost zero.

Apart from compression, check the fuel pressure and exhaust system.
Monday, April 4th, 2011 AT 8:23 PM
JACK DAVIDSON
Thnx-a-million. I'll put new NGK(s) in and see.
Tuesday, April 5th, 2011 AT 12:43 PM
KHLOW2008
You're welcome.

Good luck and have a nice day.
Tuesday, April 5th, 2011 AT 1:34 PM
JACK DAVIDSON
Put in new NGK Platinum plugs gapped to.44, but still getting multiple misfires. Can't do compression check myself and not getting any codes for fuel delivery system errors. So I gotta go to my pro I guess. Thnx for all the help guys!
Wednesday, April 6th, 2011 AT 2:29 PM
KHLOW2008
Did you check the fuel pressure?
Wednesday, April 6th, 2011 AT 3:54 PM
JACK DAVIDSON
No. But a mech friend said if one Coil/boot causes a misfire it sometimes confuses the computer & reports multiple cylinders. He suggested unplugging coils 1-@-a-time while idling to see if I can isolate the skip to a single cylinder. Duh! I should've thought of that istead of relying on the DTC to try and isolate. Thnx.
Wednesday, April 6th, 2011 AT 5:51 PM
JACK DAVIDSON
That was it! Unplugged #2 cyl w/ eng idling and got no chnge. All others RPM(s) dropped. Swapped coil w/ #5. Now no change in RPM when #5 unplugged. Replaced coil. Skip gone! So. EGR fixed, intk mnifld cleaned. EGR prt cleaned out. Good NGK plugs. Skip GONE! Runs like a new Singer Sewing Machine! Thnx for all the help!
Thursday, April 7th, 2011 AT 4:42 PM
KHLOW2008
You're welcome.

Glad to know you have fixed the problem.

Have a nice day.
Thursday, April 7th, 2011 AT 5:51 PM