98 VW CABRIO - REPLACED THE RADIO; SPEAKERS STOPPED WORKING

1998 Volkswagen Cabriolet

echinopsman

April, 16, 2012 AT 5:39 PM

I replaced the factory installed radio with a beautiful AIWA CD/USB radio. The radio installed seamlessly, the harness fit perfectly into the VW's snap lock connections. I even pre-purchased the antenna converter. The unit powered up and immediately began searching out radio stations for pre-sets (18 available spots). I was about to select my first pre-set and all of a sudden quiet. The radio is on, I can switch or select stations, the "power or sound bars" are jumping up and down but no sound. I check all the fuses and relays, still nothing. I check the radio fuse it's fine, I check all the wires and wire connections all fine. Next day I take the radio back to Best Buy they jack it in and bang, sound out the ying yang. They check the harness, no problems. I bring everything home re-connect and still no sound. WTF! Any clues? Thanks.

fixitmr

April, 16, 2012 AT 6:56 PM

Have you tested yours speakers?

echinopsman

April, 16, 2012 AT 7:02 PM

Yes, they work.

fixitmr

April, 16, 2012 AT 7:28 PM

Does old radio work speakers if you try it again?

echinopsman

April, 16, 2012 AT 7:34 PM

fixitmr

April, 16, 2012 AT 7:49 PM

Are speakers original equipment?

echinopsman

April, 16, 2012 AT 7:51 PM

Yes, the only item changed was the radio. As I said, the speakers worked initially with the new unit.

fixitmr

April, 16, 2012 AT 8:10 PM

Does your radio manual have a trouble shoot section? Any chance mute is enabled like poor reception?

echinopsman

April, 16, 2012 AT 8:13 PM

Yes I have a manual. I'll check the mute function again when I get home this evening. Pretty sure that's not it though. I confirm tomorrow. Thanks.

exovcds

April, 16, 2012 AT 8:15 PM

This might not be a fix... but it could be part of the issue.

Read this:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html

One if the wires has to be interfering with the new radio or the
radio with the stock wiring.

Thomas

caradiodoc

April, 16, 2012 AT 11:30 PM

"I was about to select my first pre-set and all of a sudden quiet."

Are we to assume there was some sound at first, then it quit? If there was never any sound, the car probably has an external amplifier that needs a turn-on signal. All aftermarket radios have a wire for that. It is usually blue and may be labeled "power antenna" or "remote".

Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro
Window Switch Replacement and Test
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Open Hood Video