SQUEALING WHEN APPLYING BRAKES

1998 Toyota Tercel

ExtechTT

February, 27, 2014 AT 4:59 AM

When ever I apply brakes slowly or sharply or when the car is rolling slowly it makes a high pitched squealing sound. What can I do to remedy this.

Also the rear shocks need to be changed and I was given Monroe original 23853 (uk shocks) shocks to replace my rear shocks. These shocks are listed for the 96-00 Starlet and the Paseo 95 on wards. Will this work on my vehicle?

hmac300

February, 27, 2014 AT 6:08 AM

If that is what they take and parts guys didn't screw up they probably will for shocks, then check brakes they may be worn down.

obxautomedic

February, 27, 2014 AT 6:12 AM

Ok, as far as the Squeal, it's time to replace your brakes, on most vehicles the brake pads have a metal tab that once the pad get's to a certain thickness it will start to make noise or squeal. It a warning so that you get them check and replaced before your pads are all gone and damage the brake rotors.

As for the shocks you can call a couple other part stores and have them look them up and see if they come up with same number, you could also take a look at the ones on your vehicle and see if they look alike. I would do both.

ExtechTT

February, 27, 2014 AT 6:44 AM

The thing is the front brakes and rear brakes are good. I took them down to change them and they have are good. I don't know what to do. I opened the rear brake shoes and washed them with water and the squealing went away for a while but it came back soon after. Could it just be dust from my work place causing the squeal. The place where I work has dust like the Sahara desert.

hmac300

February, 27, 2014 AT 6:52 AM

It sounds like your squealing is from the rear best thing there is to make sure drums were cut and have shoes ground to fit the drums the squealing may go away then I've seen a lot of that through the years. The dust may also have some effect onit.

Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement Ford
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Oil and Filter Replacement BMW M5 2005-2010
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes ML350