MY 98 SATURN HAS STARTED VIBRATING REALLY BAD ...

1998 Saturn SC2

Anonymous

November, 15, 2012 AT 11:24 PM

My 98 Saturn has started vibrating really bad and when I push on the brake it really shakes the car and idles down to where it almost stalls out. If I keep my foot on the brake and use my other foot to push on the gas a little it stops vibrating. I took it to Autozone and it showed a misfire on Cylinder 3 as well as the code: P1641 (which we have no idea what that means). Also, certain times when I'm driving it, along the dash it sounds like water/fluid running. Bought spark plugs but was wondering if this will be an easy fix or is this going to cost us a lot to fix?

saturntech9

November, 16, 2012 AT 6:45 AM

At idle is there a constant missfire?Also when stepping on the brake does the steering wheel shake?

kellyoshea

November, 17, 2012 AT 4:41 PM

Not sure how to tell if it's a constant missfire. I changed all the spark plugs and it ran good for about 1 mile then it started to misfire and feel as though it was about to stall (it never did). When I parked it, I put my foot on the brake and put it in reverse and just sat there without moving, the whole car really shook and it sounded as though there was knocking sound in the back end. When I put the car in drive and sat still, it shook and idled at 1rpm with a lot of vibration. When I placed it in park it reved to 2 rpms and then came down to 1. I did recheck the spark plugs and they looked good.

When I researched the code online (P1641) the probable cause was "Open or Short circuit condition" and "Check for failed sensor".

saturntech9

November, 20, 2012 AT 1:39 AM

A failed sensor for a code P1641 is a quad fault which could be a bad dash etc. Would have nothing to do with it missing lets fixing the missing first do you have a nice blue spark to every spark plug when its acting up?Also what kind of spark plugs did you put in the car?

Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Chevrolet
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Ignition Coil System Test Repair - All Cars
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz