WHAT POSITION DO THE LONG AND SHORT SCREWS GO INTO THE VALVE COVER?

1998 Land Rover Discovery

claytonfcurrier

August, 8, 2012 AT 9:06 PM

I am changing the valve cover gasket because the last owner/mechanic either didn't screw down the screws properly or didn't put them back into the correct position.

Either way when I took off the two forward-most screws I could unscrew them by hand with very little effort. The manual says:

2. Noting fitted positions of 2 longer screws or multi-hex bolts, remove and discard screws/boltssecuring rocer vocer to cylinder head.

August, 9, 2012 AT 12:26 AM

They want you to replace the bolts. If you get the gaskets from the dealer, they will come with the bolts or you may have to ask for them. They can give you a picture of where they belong.

It is tough when you take over a job that someone else started and never finished. Be patient and lok carefully before installing

August, 9, 2012 AT 6:33 AM

Couldn't find any reference to this in our database.

Prior to installing the valve cover, fit in the bolts and note the extended length, that should help you determine which goes where.

Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8