HAVING SURGES WHILE DRIVING AND IDLING.

1998 GMC Sierra

GMC_3500

October, 5, 2012 AT 5:07 PM

My truck is a diesel turbo 6.5 it seems to run fine but when I am driving it it seems to have a surge where the truck has more power for about 1-2 sec. And when idling it seems to also surge. Changed oil and filter. And I also changed my fuel filter. I can not figure this out as we do not know a whole lot about diesel engines.

93 F150 Hesitates/surges

Engine Surging

October, 5, 2012 AT 5:33 PM

Injector pump may have an issue or the injectors may be clogged.

I reccomend letting a shop check it for you as it is more complicated than you think and not for a do it yourself unless you have expierence

GMC_3500

October, 5, 2012 AT 6:14 PM

Ok. The vehicle is not shutting off at all. He just came in from checking the coolant pressure and he said after idling the pressure goes 20+. We suspect a blown headgasket. Could this be what is causing the problems we are having?

October, 5, 2012 AT 8:24 PM

Absolutely. I would resolve that issue first. Make sure you check the heads closely, they are common for cracking.