2001 Cranks won't start

427MARLERZ
  • 2001 GMC SIERRA
2001 GMC Sierra cranks, but won't start. In the past the security light would come on while driving, and it would start some times and other times crank and not start. Let it sit with the doors locked, 5 10 minutes, it would start. This was happening off and on. Now, it will only crank. Pulled code P0404. EGR valve stuck open.
Monday, December 27th, 2010 AT 8:22 PM

Is the security light staying on? As far as the no start, are you getting spark and fuel to the engine?
-1
Monday, December 27th, 2010 AT 9:01 PM
Check for injector pulse, engine cranking, use noid lite. Remove egr valve, see if dirty and pintle moves ok. Some makes and models have heard of clogged exhaust causing egr codes?
Monday, December 27th, 2010 AT 9:06 PM
427MARLERZ
The security light comes on some times and stays on until I shut the engine off. When the light comes on is when the starting problem happens. The security light was coming on 2 days, every time I drove it, prior to the no start. Are they related?
+1
Monday, December 27th, 2010 AT 10:16 PM
427MARLERZ
The truck started today. After, I used the key fob and turn the alarm system on and left it alone for about 5 minutes. Is the security system shutting off the fuel injectors?What could make this happen?
Monday, December 27th, 2010 AT 11:31 PM
I hate to say it, but the problem lies in the anti-theft system. If it ever strands you, turn the key to the run possition and let it there for about 10 minutes until the light goes off. It should start then.

As far as the problem, it needs to go to a dealer to be diagnosed. They are the only ones that have the proper test equipment to check the system. Otherwise, most shops will just start replacing parts. You could try a different key when this happens to see if that helps, but chances are it is internal.

Let me know if you have other questions.

+1
Tuesday, December 28th, 2010 AT 1:59 AM