Truck won't turn over

LEWS
  • 1998 FORD F-150
I have a 98 F150 4.6 engine that won't turn over. I've replaced the starter, the alternator, the starter relay switch. The battery's good. The lights and power windows and all that works. It just won't start. What else could it be?
Sunday, June 24th, 2012 AT 10:17 PM

KEN
This sounds like you have a neutral safety switch that is bad but to be sure let's run a simple test to confirm the failure. Here are some guides to help you get started

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-a-neutral-safety-switch-works

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Here is a wiring diagram for the starter so we can see where it losses power. (below)

Please run some tests and get back to us.

Cheers, Ken
Tuesday, November 28th, 2017 AT 6:03 PM
HOLLOWAYS
  • 1998 FORD F-150
1998 Ford F150 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 12900 miles

it will turn over but wont stay crunk put new fuel pump, and fuel tank, spins over but will not stay running. I also put new fuel filter.
Tuesday, November 28th, 2017 AT 6:04 PM (Merged)
BMRFIXIT
Check for spark and suspect coil if no spark
RIVERMONEY
  • 1998 FORD F-150
1998 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 92000 miles

When key turned to start there is a click, lights dim slightly, no starter engangement. New battery, new starter relay, and new starter, cleaned all connections. I am at a loss to further diagnose the problem. Also tried with shifter in neutral.
If the lights dim, then the power is going somewere. I need you to check something. Have helper turn the key to the start position while you check for voltage to the smaler wire on the starter. You should have 12+ volts.

Let me know what you find.
HOLLOWAYS
  • 1998 FORD F-150
1998 Ford F150 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 129000 miles

the truck has set up for about 2 years, wouldnt crank, bought new fuel pump crunk up, took it to get painted sat for about a week. I drove home and it ran fine, went inside for about 2 hours. Went to crank it up wouldnt crank. I bought a new fuel tank. The fuel pump is still working, just wont crank.
BMRFIXIT
No crank I would suspect a bad starter and or starter solenoid
Check starter wiring
-1
HOLLOWAYS
It trys to crank but wont stay running
BMRFIXIT
Cranks but no start
Check for fuel and fuel pressure
Check for spark
Check fuses
Check if security light on and blinking
Not sure how to check, this is video page shows how to
http://www.2carpros.com/video.htm
Let me know the results
NCJERSEYGRL
  • 1998 FORD F-150
Truck interior lights come on but truck won't turn over when trying to start. Makes a click, click, click sound. I can lock and unlock with the remote so I don"t think it is a battery problem. We don't drive it much since it is an extra vehicle. What is wrong with it?
If it is making a clicking, either you have a weak battery, bad connection between the starter and the battery, or the starter is bad.

Turn the headlights on and crank the engine. Do they get really dim and almost go out?
TIM AKERS
Had the same problem clean the cables, then jump start the battier, then give it time to charge then do a volt test on the battier, it has to check over 12 volts
BAZOOKAMOSLEY
  • 1998 FORD F-150
1998 Ford F-150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 190000 miles

I have a 1998 ford f150 with a 4.6 v8 and it was having some acceleration problems it kinda sounded like it was miss firing. While I was driving it just cut out completely and now it wont turn over at all it has power the started sounds like its engaging but it seems like the engine is locked up what should I do?
+1
Check all the cylinders for coolant or fuel that can be causing it to hydrolock-
LEWS
  • 1998 FORD F-150
My alternator went bad. So I bought a new battery to be able to drive the truck temporarily. I wasn't paying attention that the posts on the new battery were on opposite sides as the old one. When I hooked it up backwards, it fried my starter. I just replaced the starter and the alternator. My lights and everything like that works. But the truck still won't turn over. I checked the starter with a screwdriver. It's fine. What could be the problem?
Check and test the starter relay
MPRICEMC
  • 1998 FORD F-150
So I have an F150 that sat for a year at my parents ive been tryin to bring it back to life I just rplaced the battery and added fresh fuel to the gas tank the engine cranks and the crank sounds good like a normal starting car the issue is it just wont turn over where should I go from here
"Cranks" and "turns over" are the same thing. They both mean the starter is spinning the engine, which I'm guessing is what you mean since you said it sounds normal. The first thing you need to do is check for spark and fuel pressure. Don't get stuck on just one of them if you find it missing. You must have both. The most common cause of a crank / no-start is missing both of them.
RICK KEITH
  • 1998 FORD F-150
1998 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

I have had the battery checked it is good. I have replaced the started about 5 months ago. I have power to everything but when I turn the key to start the engine nothing hapens and all the power is drained from everything that is on. (Enteior light etc.) Could this be a alternator problem or is it the starter. Also the temperature is 10 to 20 degrees below zero.
JACK42
If you hit he key and the truck goes dark, you most likely have a bad connection either at thebattery or the ground cable. Do you have a meter? If so what what the battery voltage is on the posts, not through the cables