Tranny is stuck in gear

UNSCARRED785
  • 1998 FORD ESCORT

5 speed standard transmission stuck in gear. When stick is in neutral still in gear. When clutch is let out car bogs down and stalls this transmission problem started while I was driving. I down shifted into 2nd gear to get enough power to get off the road then the shift problems started.

no matter where I move the shifter if I let out on the clutch the motor bogs and wants to stall like the brake is on but it is not. If you shut the car off and push in the clutch the car rolls easily. What can I look for? Did something in the transmission break?

Wednesday, October 5th, 2011 AT 5:51 AM

2CARPROS KEN

Yes there is an internal breakage inside the transmission causing it to be in two gears at once. The transmission will need to be removed and disassembled to be fixed.

Please let us know what happens. I am curious ;)

Cheers, Ken

+1
Friday, May 26th, 2017 AT 8:54 PM
MATTMATT
  • FORD ESCORT

Hi guys, first of all, thankyou so much for the time and effort you put into helping people with their car troubles. I have an 03' ford escort ZX2 with 110,000 miles on it. It is the 1.9L SOHC, and I have a manual transmission. My problem is that the transmission is stuck in a gear and I cannot get it out. It even dies in neutral. I was driving on the highway and I shifted from second to third pretty fast and rough and missed third, grinding the gears. After I came off the highway it seemed okay at first but as I once again shifted from second to third I found that third gear was missing, there was no difference between third and neutral. Then minutes later I came to a stop and shifted into first, I couldnt get the car to go anywhere. Even in neutral the car would die if you let the clutch out. Which is why I suspect it to be broken in gear. PLEASE help me with any assistance as to what the problem may be, how it can be fixed, and how much you think it may cost. Any information is helpful. And thankyou again for your help.

Matt :( :) ? ? ? ?

Friday, May 26th, 2017 AT 8:55 PM (Merged)
BRUCE HUNT

The dieing is most likely due to it being in gear at the time, which one I don't know. You are not able to get it in to neutral. It might seem to be neutral to you but the tranny is still in gear. I would start by checking the cables to the transmission. There are usually two and one may be loose, etc. They could be out of adjustment. After that.

MATTMATT

Ok i'll try that and get back to you. Thanks.

+1