Well, that would certainly indicate the computer is working. Getting jolted is not a test I would care to try but it's a dandy observation. As a former tv repairman, I've been jolted numerous times from charged up picture tubes. The last one was with 32,000 volts that blew me off my stool and curled my hair. Well, maybe not my hair, but I did land on my but t on the floor!
It only takes a few hundred volts to feel a ferocious shock. That is about the voltage you will get when the magnetic field in the coil primary winding collapses. That spike is what is supposed to induce the really high voltage in the coil secondary winding. Based on your observations, it sounds like the coil is defective. According to the service manual, you must replace the entire distributor. If that is correct, you won't be able to buy just a new coil.
Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 8:29 PM