CRANKS BUT WONT START

• stosh
  • 1998 Dodge Durango

1998 durango cranks but wont start. Got spark at plugs and just installed a new battery. Have had problems with starter not engaging but is intermittent. Parked car after work and next morning starter would not engage just click. Tried few times and still wont start?

don't have gauge to check fuel pressure.

nice site : -)

Saturday, December 17th, 2011 AT 11:26 AM

• hmac300

Won't start menaing wont turn over or won't fire? Check fuelpressure. Maybe an auto parts store has one to rent. Fuel pressure should be 44-54 at idle.

Saturday, December 17th, 2011 AT 2:43 PM
  • stosh

Ok.I think its getting fuel. Can hear the fuel pump run when I turn the ignition on. And when it cranks it acks like it wants to start. Like maybe the timing is off. And I can smell gas. Any suggestions next?

Saturday, December 17th, 2011 AT 8:29 PM
  • hmac300

Run a scan on the engine and see if there are any codes. But check the pressure as well even if you can smell gas it may not have enough pressure. Also pull a wire form coil and ground it to see ifyou are getting spark, it should be a good spark coming form it not a weak one. It it gets spark there then check plug if not there then check distcap/rotor.

Saturday, December 17th, 2011 AT 9:18 PM
  • stosh

Thank you for your help hmac300.I checked spark as you said all ok. Have a friend coming later with pressure guage to check fuel pressure. Sorry to sound so nieve but how can I check the codes?

Saturday, December 17th, 2011 AT 9:26 PM
  • hmac300

You'll have to get it to an autoparts store osr see if they rent a scanner. Also look for where number 1 is and run it up to tdc, then check to see if the rotor is pointing to that, if it is then you may have a timing chain bad.

Saturday, December 17th, 2011 AT 9:31 PM
  • stosh

Ok. No codes came up and I check fuel pressure at injector manifold and got 47 lbs.. Also plugged a noid lamp in injector socket ok and then checked position of dist. Rotor at TDC. It was pointing towards number 5 cyl. Position. So it is safe to assume that I have a timing chain falmunction yes?

Sunday, December 18th, 2011 AT 10:57 PM
  • hmac300

Ya I kind of say so it shoud point to r right around #1

Sunday, December 18th, 2011 AT 11:47 PM
  • stosh

Ok. Heres the problem and is now corrected.I guess what happened was the surpentine belt was slipping due to a faulty tentioner and the alt. Didnt charge the battery and hence didnt have enough power to crank the engine over fast enough. Concequently the engine got flooded and wounldnt start even with the new battery. The timing mark was in the wrong position and end up correct. The fuel pressure is fine the spark was some what weak so I did replace the cap and rotor which was old. Also replaced the belt tentioner. All is good for now. Only have to replace a ring terminal under the tentioner bolt that I broke off and the job is done. I WANT TO THANK 2CARPROS AND EXPECIALLY Hmac300 for all your help. You guys are awesome MAHALO

Monday, December 19th, 2011 AT 2:37 AM