Fuse block/starting problems

TINKERMAN73
  • 1998 CHEVROLET LUMINA
Hello. I have a 1998 chevy lumina. I have been having a problem with a parasitic drain. Battery would discharge in about 5 minutes. I check main grounds at the motor and cleaned them. I tested the battery and battery was good. Tested alternator and it was good! Ended up adding a second ground strap from battery to motor mount. Then it would hold a charge for give or take a day. But if run at night, it would discharge faster after shutting the car off. I decided to check into the fuse blocks. When I got to the fuse block on the drivers side, I found several broken wires at the leads. With this, I am amazed it even ran! LOL. Anyways, I am now in need to what wires go where and what color as well as a good cheap and feasable way to fix them. Thank you!
Saturday, March 19th, 2011 AT 10:44 PM

WRENCHTECH
You might want to test that battery again. There is nothing in that car that can kill a good battery in 5 minutes.

There is a procedure for finding a battery draw like that.

You will need a digital ammeter and a jumper wire with clips on the ends to do this.
First rig any door switches so you can have a door open without triggering the interior lights and unplug the hood light. Remove one battery cable and attach the meter in series between the battery cable and battery post. Take the jumper wire and also attach it the same way. Leave the jumper wire on for at least 10 minutes to expire all the automatic timers. Now remove the jumper wire and read the meter. Anything over 50ma is too much draw. The way you locate this is to start removing fuses one at a time until the meter drops to normal level. This will be the circuit with something staying on. Determine what components are part of that circuit and check them individually until the problem is isolated.
Saturday, March 19th, 2011 AT 10:54 PM
TINKERMAN73
I know this, but without all of the circuits repaired, it would be hard to test them all. Again, I have several broken/missing wires on the bottom of the fuse block on the drivers side. I need to replace/fix these in order to find the problem. I have a sneaky suspision that one of two wires that were broken were being grounded out against the shock tower or did not complete a red wire circuit. This is the main help that I need is a color coded diagram to the wires on the bottom of the fuse box and where they go so that I can start by fixing those issues! Thank you.
Sunday, March 20th, 2011 AT 12:46 AM
WRENCHTECH
Can't help you there. Nothing like that made.
Sunday, March 20th, 2011 AT 12:52 AM