FOG LIGHT SWITCH

1997 Volkswagen Jetta

wgiddings

March, 28, 2012 AT 6:31 PM

I have a foglight switch for my 97 vw jetta. I do not want to hook up fog lights per say, instead I want to use the switch to turn on the rear fog light. How would I go sbout doing this? I know I have to run a wire from the back of the car to somewhere up front either on the switch or some place else. I searched the internet and came up with nothing. I'm hoping you can provide some insight on this or even tell me how the fog light switch works. Thanks

rivermikerat

March, 28, 2012 AT 6:53 PM

Rear fog light? As in a rearward facing bright light? From what I know, this is illegal for on road vehicles.

The wire(s) to the foglight(s) will go from the lights, to a relay. The relay will get power through a fuse (30Amps). The relay will be switched by the foglight switch.

March, 28, 2012 AT 6:53 PM

Just run a wire from the fog switch to the back fog light and make sure the ground side is good

wgiddings

March, 28, 2012 AT 7:03 PM

Ok, but where on the back of the fog switch should I run the wire? This is a factory switch that turns on the rear tailights as I have DRL's. Thanks.

rivermikerat

March, 28, 2012 AT 7:10 PM

Find which lead is hot when the switch is turned on. Use either a meter or a test light.

Fog Light Bulb Replacement Mini Cooper
Fog Light Bulb Replacement w/ H.I.D Kit
DRL Light Bulb Replacement