STALLS

1997 Toyota Rav4

6gunn

September, 7, 2012 AT 9:33 PM

My daughter's '97 Rav4 will stall when it is put in drive. I also noticed that it's hard to push the car in neutral. In fact, it's almost impossible to push it now.

I had the transmission worked on about a year ago. It wasn't shifting correctly.

There are no trouble code set.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

John

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

DrCranknWrench

September, 7, 2012 AT 9:56 PM

There is probably a problem with either the shift linkage or sometimes a cable is used in the shifter and that might need replacement. The shifter itself could be binding up.
My best advice is to take it to a transmission shop and not a regular repair facility. Automatic tranmission, especially in a RAV4, are difficult to work on and take special experience and tools to work on them. So, take the extra time to take it to a transmission spoecialist for repair.

sixgunn

November, 30, 2012 AT 8:38 PM

This answer was dead on. The boot on the shifter cable had come loose and kept the cable from moving correctly. A new cable fixed the problem.

DrCranknWrench

December, 2, 2012 AT 5:31 AM

That is great news. I am greatful that it turend out well for you.
If you ever need anything else we will be here.

Dr. C