Alarm reset

LSOLAMAN
  • 1997 TOYOTA AVALON
The factory car alarm on my car is preventing it from starting. I have replaced the battery as it was quite old (2006), but the car still will not start. How do I reset/disable the factory alarm?
Sunday, March 10th, 2013 AT 6:29 PM

Roll up all windows exit the car lock all doors with the remote, then wait ten minutes, unlock the door using the key, that will reset the alarm.

It sounds like you might have a low battery though.
Here is a guide to test it:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-battery-load-test

Please let us know what happens.
+1
Sunday, March 10th, 2013 AT 6:34 PM
LSOLAMAN
The door unlocks but the alarm still goes off whenever I open it. Lasts for twenty seconds and then shuts off by itself, but the car still will not start. I do not think it is the starter, alternator, as there is no "clicking" sound when I try to start the car, it simply will not crank. The power, lights work, along with the windows, and the clock comes on. How do I have the system scanned? This is the first time in a very long while that the alarm has gone off in the car. The car previously belonged to my father and I had thought that the alarm had been disabled.

I have read on other posts that disconnecting the positive battery charge in sequence with turning the key to the on position might help. I have also read that disconnecting the negative battery charge in sequence with turning the key to the on position might work as well. I have also read that there is a "valet switch" under the dash of a 1998 Avalon that might work to disable the alarm, but my car is a 1997, so I am not sure if that will work.

The anti theft/alarm light located to the left of the steering wheel is flashing red and blinking on and off, and that has not happened for awhile.
+10
Sunday, March 10th, 2013 AT 7:04 PM
It sounds like a problem somewhere within the security system. You should have the system scanned to see if there are trouble codes.
+1
Sunday, March 10th, 2013 AT 7:12 PM
KEN
Hey LSOLAMAN,

We have contacted the local dealer and have found the method to reset the alarm system, please follow this link to see the information.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-reset-a-security-system

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken

Thursday, December 15th, 2016 AT 11:00 AM