Here are the directions for adjustment. There really isn't a torque spec. Basically, you loosen the rocker and then tighten it until lash is taken away. Then, you turn the nut one more full turn.
The noise you hear may be a rocker arm that is off or too tight.
Here are the directions:
1997 Chevy Truck C 1500 Suburban 2WD V8-5.7L VIN R
Valve Adjustment Procedures
Vehicle Engine, Cooling and Exhaust Engine Camshaft, Lifters and Push Rods Lifter / Lash Adjuster Service and Repair Removal and Replacement Valve Adjustment Procedures
VALVE ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURES
VALVE LASH ADJUSTMENT
1. Remove the valve rocker arm cover.
2. Crank the engine until the mark on the crankshaft balancer lines up with the timing mark on the front cover and the engine- is in the number one firing position. This may be determined by placing fingers on the number one valve as the mark on the balancer comes near the timing mark on the front cover. The valve rocker arms are not moving, the engine is in the number one firing position. If the valve rocker arms move as the mark comes up to the timing mark, the engine is in the number six firing position. Rotate the crankshaft 360 or one complete revolution in order to reach the number one position.
3. With the engine in the number one firing position as determined above, adjust the following valves (Even numbered cylinders are in the right bank. Odd numbered cylinders are in the left bank):
- Exhaust: 1, 3, 4, 8
- Intake: 1, 2, 5, 7
4. Back out the adjusting nut until lash is felt at the pushrod then turn in-the adjusting nut until all lash is removed. This can be determined by rotating the pushrod while turning the adjusting nut. When the play has been removed, turn the adjusting nut 360 or one full additional turn in order to center the valve lifter plunger.
5. Crank the engine one revolution until the timing mark on the front cover and the crankshaft balancer mark are again in alignment. This is the number six firing position. The following valves may be adjusted:
- Exhaust: 2, 5, 6, 7
- Intake: 3, 4, 6, 8
6. Install the valve rocker arm cover.
Let me know if this helps.
Sunday, June 28th, 2020 AT 11:07 PM