WHY DOES MY CAR POP OUT OF 4TH GEAR?

1997 Subaru Impreza

prich

August, 30, 2011 AT 3:59 PM

I have a 97 subaru impreza outback sport 5spd manual. It wont stay in 4th gear unless I hold the stick in place but thats only when im on a bumpier road. All the other gears are fine. I heard it could be a couple things such as a bad 4th gear shift fork and/or hub, or a bad engine or transmission mount. The bad engine mount intrigued me because I know one of them is worn. I want to know if I should just pull the transmission and fix it (if thats the problem) or put in new mounts and see if thats all it was.

Docfixit

August, 30, 2011 AT 6:29 PM

Most likely syncro and bulk ring. Could like a friend of mine and bungy cord in 4th

prich

August, 31, 2011 AT 2:00 PM

I'm not convinced its the syncro because there is no grinding or any noise at all it shifts fine. If it was the syncro there has to be grinding or at least make it harder to shift that isn't the problem.

prich

August, 31, 2011 AT 2:03 PM

Im not convinced it is the syncro because for that to go it would grind the gear or make it hard to shift and that isnt the problem it shifts perfectly fine no noise or anything.

prich

August, 31, 2011 AT 2:05 PM

Sorry about sending the same thing twice I didnt know it went through

Docfixit

August, 31, 2011 AT 2:11 PM

Problem is wear on syncro to bulk ring syncro coffen cut gear still good so shift is good but slop in syncro to bulk ring causes to pop out

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250