HOW DO I GET IT TO START?

• DumCar12
  • 1997 Pontiac Grand Am

We have a brand new starter and it works when we take it to auto zone, however not in the car. It clicks when I turn it but that's about it. The battery is charged and close to being brand new. The guy who is looking at it is saying the alternator and thedtarter is together. May it be that the alternator is bad and that's why its not starting? :(( Really need help.

Thursday, August 2nd, 2012 AT 7:26 PM

• hmac300

Charge the battery and see if it reads 12.4 volts on a vom. Then have a draw put on it to see if it's good, sounds like it's not. Make sure your terminals are clean. Than after that is fixed running then check the alternator.

Thursday, August 2nd, 2012 AT 7:40 PM
  • DumCar12

Okay. Now that we have gotten it to at least sound like its trying to turn on, it sounds like it doesn't have gas. With the gas, the guy said it may be a sensor. The fuel pump is working, but its not accepting the gas. So could it b a sensor problem.

Thursday, August 2nd, 2012 AT 9:55 PM
  • rasmataz

Will it start when throttle body is sprayed with starting fluid? If so and it fires and runs for a few secs-check the fuel pressure if its within specs and also if the injectors are pulsing-start here

Thursday, August 2nd, 2012 AT 10:03 PM
  • ryanmace

Motor is locked up if you battery is charged

Tuesday, March 12th, 2013 AT 12:09 AM