1997 HONDA CIVIC DRIVERS SIDE DOOR LOCK

• 97HondaCivic
  • 1997 HONDA CIVIC

I've scoured forums and can't find any I found on my specific problem, although I have see variations. I'm sorry if this is a rehash of a different post. Just bought my 97 Honda Civic as a commuter car. Everything is immaculate. One issue though, ALL door locks work from the switch except the drivers side. In reference to the drivers side, when I hit the switch I can hear the actuator trying to move the lock up and down but to no avail. I can manually lock and unlock from the outside, or by manually pushing or pulling the door lock on top of the door panel. Can the actuator become disconnected from the lock mechanism itself? Any suggestions? In addition, if I remember correctly, in order to lock all doors from the switch panel I have to pull the door handle to engage the locking of the drivers side. Is that correct for a 97 as it is for a 98. Thank you in advance.

Saturday, July 19th, 2014 AT 8:22 AM

• Hmac300

Oil works wonders, pull the door panel off and lube the lock actuator it is either partially frozen or a clip broke or in bad need of lubing.

Saturday, July 19th, 2014 AT 12:05 PM
  • 97HondaCivic

Awesome! I appreciate your response. Where should I place the oil, and what kind? I've taken the door panel off already and everything appears to be securely connected.

Saturday, July 19th, 2014 AT 12:39 PM
  • Hmac300

Penetrating oil or wd40 will work the best if you have any lying around. It could be a bad actuator as well but try that first.

Saturday, July 19th, 2014 AT 12:42 PM
  • 97HondaCivic

Definitely have some WD40. I'll try that tonight! Totally appreciate your help!

Saturday, July 19th, 2014 AT 1:22 PM