2 CYLINDER MISFIRE CODE WITH A LOUD TAPPING SOUND

1997 Ford Taurus

justdon

February, 8, 2012 AT 12:27 AM

While on the expressway, the check engine light begn to flash and then light steady. The car was running fine at the time with no noises being heard. The car was pulled off the expressway and while sitting at an idle, a loud tapping could be heard. Not like the typical lifter tap, louder and more metalic sound. The engine began to idle very rough and a strong odor of fuel was detected. The car was towed to a garage where the mechanic said that there was a #2 mis-fire code. He also said that when he removed the #2 wire from the coil, the car would crank over 30 times and try to start but fail. Removing another wire allows the car to start but gives a roughness to the engine. He is scratching his head and trying to get outside advise. Any help would be greatly appreciated. PLEASE!

February, 8, 2012 AT 12:36 AM

He needs to pull the valve cover for number 2 cylinder and check the rocker arms and push rods.

justdon

February, 13, 2012 AT 1:54 AM

The valve cover was removed and a bent pushrod was found on #2 cylinder. The valve is also stuck open. I guess it's time for a valve job and a prayer that the piston isn't damaged.

justdon

February, 18, 2012 AT 4:39 AM

UPDATE!
Both heads had cracks on an exhaust valve seat. Piston was struck but, it didn't break. The valve left a small half moon mark on the piston top at the edge. Doesn't appear to have crushed the edge. Putting two new heads on a crossing my fingers that a ring groove hasn't been crushed.

February, 18, 2012 AT 12:19 PM

Good luck

Engine Oil Change and Filter Toyota Tundra
Engine Oil Change and Filter
Engine Oil Change and Filter Jeep Wrangler
Oil Change and Filter Replacement - Ford F150
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes Benz