1997 Ford Explorer same as this guy

COLLINSMITCHELL
  • 1997 FORD EXPLORER
  • AWD
This question posted 7 years ago is my question today. Uncanny, I have exactly the same combo-problem. Please help cuz my wife is gonna slap me around if I don't get it fixed.

NO LOW BEAMS, NO REAR BRAKE LIGHTS

Need Help If possible? My Eddy B Had lost it's driverside low beam seems typical Bad bulb, Not the problem, wait my message center said check headlight's almost forgot that part, So I checked for voltage to that circuit, none then 1 week later the passenger low beam went out, I have checked all fuses, Found none bad, then message Center said check brake lights, No brake Lights No voltage there either, The 3rd brake light is still functioning, here is the catch if I turn on the heater, Floor position and let it get real warm in the cab, Very (hot) is more like it, mysteriously everything starts working normal again, might be coincidence, dont know, I have checked fuses Relays, grounds, connections, Going INSANE PLEASE HELP! Ps. The headlight problem does not always fix its self
Monday, February 23rd, 2015 AT 9:49 AM

CADIEMAN
U NEED A VOLT METER OR TEST LIGHT TO CK. FOR VOLTAGE TO THE BULB CONNECTOR. IF U HAVE NO POWER. CHECK YOUR VOLTAGES AT THE HEAD LIGHT SWITCH THEN COMEBACK
Monday, February 23rd, 2015 AT 10:49 AM
COLLINSMITCHELL
I am getting to the voltage testing, but I did discover that the headlights will work if the car is not started or key not switched ON. Once the key is turned, only the high--beams will work.

The brake lights-Not the bulbs, not the bulb clip assembly thing, and the green wire(marked high beam) has no power under any condition. The ground and low beam wiring is fine. Also, the third brake light works.

I will check the brake switch first chance. Moving the steering column position does not affect the lights in any noticeable way.

Thanks!
Perry
Monday, February 23rd, 2015 AT 3:33 PM
CADIEMAN
Ok get back to us
Monday, February 23rd, 2015 AT 4:19 PM
SCHUELERAUTOSERVICE
Just another quick thing, on the pasenger side kick panel benind it is the gem module, see if theres water entering around it. Seen that before. Also check for corrosion in the fuse box seen power wires under it corrode in canada high salt areas.
Monday, February 23rd, 2015 AT 7:25 PM
CADIEMAN
Your going to have to ck. All power and ground circuits all the way to the bulb sockets!
Tuesday, February 24th, 2015 AT 6:08 AM
COLLINSMITCHELL
So here is what I know.

All related fuses (not sure about any relays) are good.
The Bulb and socket test good
The tail harness gnd and driving (tail) light good (the wire for brights DEAD)
The Brake switch is functioning and testing good
The voltage from the male (battery) side into the brake switch is good.

Apparently, the wiring between the brake switch to the tail light is corrupted. Anything common I could look for along the line, like some kind of in-line fuse or under vehicle exposure?

"That don't make NO SENSE"
-Pete

Thanks!

Collins
oh yeah, if I did not mention this, I just discovered that the headlights will work as long as the car is off. If the key is turned they won't work so we are driving with the brights on.
Thursday, February 26th, 2015 AT 7:50 AM
CADIEMAN
CK. THE DIMMER SWITCH FOR PROPER. OPER. ON THE SIDE OF THE STEERING COLUMN. BUT IF YOUR GETTING POWER TO THE SOCKET 12V AND IT WON''T LIGHT THE GROUND IS THE PROBLEM.
Thursday, February 26th, 2015 AT 11:27 AM
COLLINSMITCHELL
Thanks for your time and help. Can you offer any advice on where to look for the ground problem? I will check the fuse box and connections closer, but are there any places that commonly short or break from some exposure?
Thanks!
Friday, February 27th, 2015 AT 12:23 PM
CADIEMAN
THEIR IS NO COMMON SPOT.I NEED TO KNOW IF U ARE RECEIVING POWER TO THE BRAKE LIGHT SOCKETS
Saturday, February 28th, 2015 AT 10:39 AM
COLLINSMITCHELL
I'm sorry, but I thought I had covered that. No, there is no power getting the socket. The socket tested fine on both sides and the bulbs are good.

The brake switch is good (12.2V from the battery side) so the wire dies somewhere in between.

It may be important to know the lights in the panel go dim when the headlights or parking lights are turned on. The auto-lock feature for the doors is not working now and the headlights will come on as long as the key is not turned in the ignition. The HUD is not accurately showing fuel levels or economy.

Could this be from water coming in through the sunroof?
Sunday, March 1st, 2015 AT 11:55 AM
CADIEMAN
U ARE GOING NEED TO REMOVE THE L/F SILL PLATE AND LIFT THE CARPET UP. THEN PULL THE WIRING HARNESS THAT GOES TO THE REAR.U WILL NEED TO MAKE SURE U ARE GETTING A BRAKE SIGNAL TO THE REAR. THEN U WILL KNOW IF IT'S IN THE DASH OR REAR END.2 WIRES GET POWER FROM THE SWITCH.

ON THE LIGHTS YOUR GOING TO NEED TO REMOVE THE HEAD LIGHT SWITCH AND CK. YOUR VOLTAGES. ALSO U NEED TO TEST THE DIMMER SWITCH. MAKE SURE IT'S SENDING VOLTAGE TO THE LOW BEAMS. U WILL NEED TO TEST IT.
Sunday, March 1st, 2015 AT 5:00 PM
COLLINSMITCHELL
Thanks for all your help.
Monday, March 2nd, 2015 AT 6:34 AM
CADIEMAN
Np
Monday, March 2nd, 2015 AT 6:45 AM