ENGINE LOSING POWER UP HILLS

1997 Ford Expedition

Junior197

December, 18, 2011 AT 6:54 AM

My Expedition is losing some power with gas, and I was wondering if it would be a bad fuel pump or could it be because the fuel filter. When I try to go up hills, I loose a lot of power, and it seems I am about to break down.. Can You help me? I've looked online that the fuel filter can block gas from going to the fuel pump.. Could this be my problem or is it a bad fuel pump... I do notice a slight delay with starting my car in the morning... Could it be replacing the filter be great or will it be my pump?

rivermikerat

December, 18, 2011 AT 7:06 AM

Check the fuel pressure. Disconnect the catalytic converter and test drive it. If the power comes back, you'll have to replace the catalytic converter.

Junior197

December, 18, 2011 AT 7:18 AM

So, it could have nothing to do with the fuel pump? Because I want to see if replacing the fuel filter will bring back the power. If not I know for sure it's the pump...

rivermikerat

December, 18, 2011 AT 7:58 AM

A plugged catalytic converter will cause your engine to lose power under load. But, so can a fuel pump that's not delivering enough pressure, or a clogged fuel filter. Temporarily removing the catalytic converter will either eliminate it as a suspect item, or give you your answer.

If the cat is eliminated, next is to check the fuel pressure. This will tell you whether the problem is related to fuel pressure delivery. If the pressure is low, the problem could be either the pump or the filter. The filter for your vehicle averages about $12, so if the pressure is low, we start there.

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Fuel Pump Replacement