DOES MY CAR HAVE UPPER AND LOWER BALL JOINTS? A ...

1997 Ford Escort

Anonymous

November, 19, 2012 AT 4:57 AM

Does my car have upper and lower ball joints? A friend said that I need to replace ball joints, I'm short on cash do you know of a lace to get them for not a lot? What is a good brand to buy?

DrCranknWrench

November, 19, 2012 AT 5:03 AM

You have struts on your car so there are no upper ball joints. However there is a teflon bearing that can go bad on the top and it may need replacing. You will have to have a reapir shop replace it unless you go to an Advance Auto ro Auto Zone and get a spring compressor to retain the main spring to take it apart and then you may need to see if they also have a special tool to reove the top of the strut where the bearing is. It may not require a special tool you will have to look at it. As far as the lower ball joints go they are most likely to fail and almost always fail before the teflon bearing is an issue. So, replace the first and you will need to go to aforementioned parts stores to get there, they loan out these tools by the way, ball joints installation tool set. The best brand to buy is MOOG.

Replace Tie Rod End
Sway Bar Link Replacement Subaru Legacy