STUTTERS AND BACKFIRES WHEN ACCELERATING

1996 Toyota Prado

Rich B

January, 4, 2012 AT 6:45 AM

I've also changed fuel filter. Any ideas?1996 Toyota Prado 2.7L Petrol.I've had new spark plugs, cleaned carburator, cleaned filter on fuel tanks. Any ideas?

rivermikerat

January, 4, 2012 AT 6:49 AM

Checked timing?

Rich B

January, 4, 2012 AT 7:02 AM

I'm not mechanically minded, but the engine runs very quietly and evenly when it's first started before driving. Does this mean the timing is probably ok or do I need it checked?

rivermikerat

January, 4, 2012 AT 7:38 AM

It could go either way. Stuttering and backfiring is one of 2 things: 1) raw fuel being dumped into the exhaust stream and being detonated.
2) spark too early or too late for valve timing.
Since timing is easiest to check, it's the first I mention. You said 'petrol'. I'm going to go out on a limb and say you aren't in the U.S. Is there somewhere you can rent or borrow a timing light? Or other tools?

The reason the engine seems to run fine at first is due to the cold start circuit. Less air is drawn into the engine, speeding up the idle during the warmup cycle. The increased engine speed adjusts the ignition timing. The computer will also adjust the timing during warmup.

Rich B

January, 4, 2012 AT 7:49 AM

Thanks! Rivermikerat. You're right I'm not in US. Maybe this will help to solve this problem.

rivermikerat

January, 4, 2012 AT 8:18 AM

I hope so. Let me know what you find out.

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang